1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pressed wood/logs

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pharmsaler, Sep 16, 2011.

1. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I thought about buying some eco bricks but decided not to.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. StayingWarmInNJ

StayingWarmInNJ New Member

We burned the Eco Bricks from TSC in our wood insert last winter. They were pretty good, especially since our cordwood was questionable that year (our first).

Does anyone know of any other sources for wood bricks in central NJ? The TSC around here won't deliver. We were hoping for a pallet to supplement our 2 cords of wood.
  3. spirilis

spirilis Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Market, MD
    I use the "wood brick fuel" that's got bad reviews in this thread... for short fires or starter fuel, frankly. I feel more or less that I've put in enough time with them to know how to tame them, and maybe tighter compressed bricks would work better but I haven't found any others (in the 2lb size) locally. What does work great for me is Eco Energy Fuel Blocks, they're very tightly compressed 8lb all-oak blocks that I use on the reload for extended burns... they actually "coal" up for real, burning far more like regular oak firewood than the wood brick fuel.
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Begreen, what is available in this area and where is a good place to get them?
  5. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I see our local True Value just started carrying HomeFires. That's good news. Their competitor has the cheaper, softer Tacoma logs that don't impress me.
  7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    load up your truck or car 400-500lbs at the time, just get a load each time your near there.You will have it faster than you think. Notsure how big th boxes are but i prolly can fit an easy 20 boxes or more in my saturn of those duralog things and i cant immagine these being any differnt in box ize.
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Treacherous and BG, thanks. Interesting that the North Idaho Energy Logs are the good old Prest-o-logs I've used in the past.

Based on the reviews that BG did, both of these put out about 16.5 million btu per pallet (roughly a ton). Alder, for example, is about 18 million btu/cord dry (anywhere from 14 to 20 depending on who you choose to believe). Despite North Idaho's claim of being equivalent to 1.5 - 2 cords of wood, 16.5 million BTU per pallet is less than a cord of most wood except maybe cottonwood or something. The point is, I'd take such comparisons with a grain of salt.

But even if the cost of these logs is twice whatever cordwood you have to buy, their advantages of consistency, space (about 1/3 the space), easy availability, etc, should be worth a lot, especially if you only want it to supplement your supply, help burn less-than-seasoned wood, etc. Sounds like it's worth trying.
    rcollman and olddawgsrule like this.
  9. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington
    Cenex Co Op has the North Idaho's on sale for $1.15ea and the Homefires for .88 cents, of course cheaper if you buy a pallet. http://www.co-opsupplyinc.com/about.html

Also Thomas from NW Fuels in Mukilteo sells the North Idahos

Homefire 's manufacturing plant is located in Ferndale and every year in May through July they sell there "factory Seconds" to the public. Here is a excerpt from a email I got from them and a pic

Next springs prices may not bee the same so keep that in mind

Prices last spring/summer were 6 barrels for $100.00 and 2 totes for $200.00 . Barrels weigh approximately 300 lb each and totes are 1800-2400 lb each.The totes vary in size because they are recycled from a local cold storage.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Treacherous likes this.
  10. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    Mid '86 and earlier they were known as the old Presto Logs.

11. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    That's a really good buy on those factory seconds.

12. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Everett, Washington

Yeah, I think so as well, It is just that Ferndale is kinda far to go for them, I would really like only 1 tote not 2 but do not think they well sell only one, and my truck aint going to haul 4000+ pounds
  13. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    I hear ya... my trailer could only handle one of the toters. I could probably get 6 of the barrels in my trailer though.
  14. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I was reviewing this thread and it got me thinking about at least buying this pack at tsc, just to see how they work. I'm a wood man but the curiosity is killing me. So I go on tsc website to read the reviews of the eco bricks and the one reviews talks about stacking wood 1 year +, and I thought to myself, thats got to be someone on hearth.com. Sure enough it was you eclecticcottage! :cool:

Thanks for your reviews here and at tsc!
  15. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    Ha. That's funny. I was youtubing splitting wood and found a video pf Carbonliberator's kid splitting pine with his fiskars. I knew who it was because of the amazing woodshed in the background. Back on topic: I will definitely pick up some sort pressed log this year. I'm just curious. I will probably post a review when I do get them.
  16. olddawgsrule

olddawgsrule Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Finally my TSC got there load in. I've been there with bricks and get the idea, but blocks are what I'm interested in learning about.
    Fuel Block is what My Local TSC is carying.
    1/3 bigger than the CanWick I tried.
    Packaged better than the CanWick.
    Just as dense, if not better... no cracks shown in the Blocks.
    CanWick has openings in the packaging that allows humidity.
    Fuel Block is sealed, or at least by the best I can see.

Put one on about 3:30pm.
    Small split built first.
    With TS Sandy coming our way, I'd like to see enough coals in the AM to throw another in and keep it cooking.
    That would make it a 12 hour burn.
    That would impress me!

Update later... Sandy's coming to dinner and I have to get ready...

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]