Presto Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ski-Patroller

Sep 23, 2013
Govenment Camp, OR
We heat our ski cabin mostly with wood. We use electric heat and wood to get it warmed up when we first show up, and then pretty much wood heat for the weekend. We normally go through about a cord a year, generally Tamarak or Doug Fir that has been quartered, and then we re-split it. Normally it is "seasoned" when we get it, and store it for another year indoors. For various reasons we haven't gotten a delivery this year and time is running out.

I just tried some Presto logs (actually Priest Logs I think) to see how they burned in our Castine. I was very impressed. On high fire they looked much like burning Doug Fir, but when I cut back they would last all night, and have a round that seemed to be red hot coals all they way through in the morning. They seemed to burn cleaner, and the glass looked a lot cleaner, and also easier to clean completely.

They cost more than fire wood, but are a lot less work,and take up a lot less space. Also I can pick up 500 or 1000lbs in the middle of winter if I need to. I think we will go about 50-50 wood vs presto logs this winter and see what we think at the end of the season. I've only got about a cord of seasoned wood in the basement this year, and since we haven't been able to line up a delivery at a good time this fall we are probably out of time. I doubt if I can get a nice dry load after we get back from Europe in early November although I'll give it a try.

I'm a huge fan of pressed logs based on heat output and convenience (esp when purchased by the ton), however, most places will run out of wood bricks and logs mid-winter (similar to pellets) during an above-average cold winter, therefore they are not always readily available unless you stock up early.

Thanks for heads up. I'll check with Mt Scott Fuel to see if they typically have a good supply all winter.

I wish I could handle a Pallet at a time, but my Van probably won't take a ton, and my trailer is maxed at 1100 lbs. I guess I could split the pallet between the van and the trailer.

I bought a few Enviro Logs or similar from Tractor Supply last year. When I really could have used more in Jan/Feb, they were "out" for the season. Somehow it must make sense at the corporate level to run out during peak demand. Seems hard to believe...

Mt Scott Fuel says that they normally have a good supply of both firewood, pellets and presto logs all winter. Supplying wood based fuel and rock are their primary business so I expect they will not run out mid season.

Status
Not open for further replies.