1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Preventing Possible Freeze up

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by dean, Feb 12, 2011.

1. dean

dean New Member

Loc:
    brookhaven, ny
    The Jotul wood stove has been keeping our reliance on heating fuel down this winter. Our house is a Split ranch 1950's built, garage under bedroom area, mono flow hydronic baseboard system. I kept a thermometer in the garage to monitor temps at night. They stayed above freezing 35 - 39 most nights. Concerned with a possible freeze up, I recently purchased the Therm Guard. It was easy to install and program with just a slight modification to the back of the mercury filled thermostat.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Just trying to figure out what you mean by Split Ranch?
    http://splitlevel.net/

Regardless, my Split level enters into the living room and kitchen with basement/family room down from there and bedrooms up over the basement/family room. The garage is under the living room and down from the basement/family room. My garage is mostly underground on the sides and of course open to the elements on the door side. My garage never gets below freezing. I wouldnt even give it a second thought if you have checked the temps. The garage floor being concrete and mostly influenced by ground temps should allow you to rest easy. I can leave a pot of water on the concrete floor by the garage door and it will never freeze.

Your only issue is if you have some exposed pipe in the floor near a wall where you may have a draft...
  3. dean

dean New Member

Loc:
    brookhaven, ny
    It is sort of a California style. There was an extension added to the original footprint of the house and has a wood stove. The bedroom side of the house has full basement with garage below. This side of the house has north, northeast exposure.