1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Price for 8" oval to 6" round

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by homebrewz, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I recently bought an 8" oval to 6" round to hook up a VC Defiant Encore to my existing 6" pipe.
    I paid $78 via mail order. Does that sound high, or is it about right?

I'm doing a partial rebuild on this stove, and it was the most expensive part!

Thanks..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MikeinMadison

MikeinMadison Member

Hi
    I have the same stove and need that adapter too. I asked here and BrotherBart said that Ace hardware sold one (#4021507). I ordered it online but had to return it -- 7" oval X 6" round -- too small... Where did you order yours? Is it good quality?
    Mike
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ouch! Sorry for messing you up on that.
  4. MikeinMadison

MikeinMadison Member

That's okay BrotherBart -- your intentions were good. I just found the 42544 on the Ace website before coming back here. I'm going to order that one, and maybe you should do the same homebrewz -- 80 bucks is a lot of cash.
    Mike
  5. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    Some olvals are propritory, the oval for the hearthstone homestead is a funky size, no imperial brand pipe will fit it, its about 80 bucks. Make shure it fits before you buy it, it might not be worth jacking around sending stuff back and forth and still end up buying from VC.
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    That 42544 is round to round so it probably won't get the job done either. What bugs me is that I have seen them on the shelf at the store.
  7. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    I havent seen them. Not saying they dont exist, but a 8-6 oval to round would imply that your are decreasing volume, and pipe manufactures dont usely sell pipe to help you reduce your chimney, even though VC makes a stove that way. I think your going to have to get if from VC. FWIW i have on the shelf 7o-6r 8o-8r 6o-6r
  8. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Sooty bob sells a double wall one that goes oval to 8" round. The single wall one needs to come from VC, but it's oval to 8" round as well. I don't think the single wall one should be that expensive. On the Encore you can use 6" pipe but when 6" is used you usually change to the 6" round flue collar. You also cannot burn the stove with the doors open and screen attached.
  9. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Sometimes it is cheaper to combine a couple of fittings. If you were to purchase an VC oval to round 8" off market then an 8' to 6" reducer you would have spent app $35 If you bought the 6" flue collar black $75 from VC

8" oval to 6" round id a specialty item and limited demand they can charge what they want to as much as $75 to 80
    Shane is right about not being able to use a sparl screen reducing the vent to 6"

Shane Please PM me I need help locating something
  10. MikeinMadison

MikeinMadison Member

Hmm. I was looking at the 42553, which won't work either because it's not oval. Argghh!!!
  11. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    I ordered it from discountstove.com Its just a piece of regular black stove pipe, only its a reduced oval to round. I will look into the 8" oval to 8" round plus a reducer to 6". Thanks for the idea.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.