Prices are outragous

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JDC said:
I just purchased my chimney from northern tool. They have Simpson Dura Plus triple wall for $89/ 3 foot section. I got a $100 gift card for spending a certain amount. My wall thimble was $300 from tractor supply. I was unsure about doing it myself but could not find anyone to install it for a fair price. One guy wanted $1300. With help from my dad the whole job took 3 hours, if I had to do it again, we could do it in 2. Once we got going it was pretty easy the hardest part was putting the Tee and support box in.

That's 30 per foot, about double the quoted price....I still think something is wrong there, or it is a very cheap pipe.....

Here's Dura at a discount online price
http://www.ventingpipe.com/duravent...ss-a-double-wall-chimney-pipe-length/p1760811

Again, double or more the price quoted.

Heck, it's always possible they talked a good deal with the manufacturer and are selling at a low markup...

Webmaster said:
JDC said:
I just purchased my chimney from northern tool. They have Simpson Dura Plus triple wall for $89/ 3 foot section. I got a $100 gift card for spending a certain amount. My wall thimble was $300 from tractor supply. I was unsure about doing it myself but could not find anyone to install it for a fair price. One guy wanted $1300. With help from my dad the whole job took 3 hours, if I had to do it again, we could do it in 2. Once we got going it was pretty easy the hardest part was putting the Tee and support box in.

That's 30 per foot, about double the quoted price....I still think something is wrong there, or it is a very cheap pipe.....

Here's Dura at a discount online price
http://www.ventingpipe.com/duravent...ss-a-double-wall-chimney-pipe-length/p1760811

Again, double or more the price quoted.

Heck, it's always possible they talked a good deal with the manufacturer and are selling at a low markup...

The $1300 was using my supplies, labor only.

The Northern Tool Chimney is Dura Plus not Dura Tech.

To the OP: Sounds like others are helping you out on the specs for parts so I'll try to address the other part of your original question: Is it worth it heating with wood?

'Worth' apparently being the key word here - Worth as in $$'s, yes it's 'worth' it. Is our time working up the wood 'worth' anything? Some would say yes whereas my opinion is no it's not worth anything because we are working to benefit ourselves therefore time put into wood handling pays us back in heat which, in my mind, is a financial wash.

We were running anywhere from $3,00 to $4,000 per year for fuel oil heat. We purchased our stove when the tax credit was in effect and because of that tax credit our stove has already 'paid' for itself. From now on our heat is 'free' - oh, no! - another 'key word' - 'free'.

'Free heat' is a debatable term. We scrounge wood, bought a utility trailer ($800) but had most of the others tools already because we had been burning in a fireplace.

All I can tell you is we are healthier for the physical activity of working with firewood (nothing worse than old people sitting around doing nothing and dying in their rockers) and we are MUCH warmer heating with wood.

As always, your mileage may vary just as opinions may vary. :)

I have to agree with Shari here. Whether "free" heat is possible is debatable, but remember that heating with wood is a lifestyle offering many benefits. You could save money on a fitness membership and scrounge wood instead. If you need cardio and not sure that wood scrounging and C/S/S stacking will give it to you, then go for a free power walk in nature to get the extra cardio. Why do I always feel calmer after C/S/S wood? Because I'm outside in mother nature where I was intended to be; it's a natural "free" stress reducer without the therapist's bill. LOL.

I bought a nice 5'x8' utility trailer with a 3500 lb axel and steel sides. It set me back $1400. I use it for wood scrounging, picking up building supplies, and moving stuff. It wasn't free but it's also paid for itself in less than two years with all the cash I've saved on renting Uhaul trucks or paying delivery charges.

I spent $300 on a chainsaw. Whether that was the right one is debatable but it will last a long time and paid for itself in all the "free" wood I've scrounged up.

Our Wood Furnace paid for itself in one season. I added a wood stove in our living area to be able to enjoy the fires. It should be able to pick up the slack when it gets really cold and pay for itself in 2-3 seasons. Even if we bought wood, it would still be a lot less expensive than propane. I could buy 20 cords a year and still be ahead monetarily than paying the gas company.

Pete1983 said:
wingspan Let me know if you need help I will gladly make the trip and give you a hand with installing it. I have an ulterior motive as well there is a good brewery that way that my wife and I love gives us an excuse to go there and eat lol :lol:

Pete

Kudos to you Pete, that is what it is all about!

Is wood heat worth it, thats up to you, is a wife worth it, thats up to you. A lot of work and some grief at times but the rewards can be great.

I've been to the Menard's website AND the store on more than one occasion. The Supervent they carry is CLASS A. Says so right on the box. Stainless Steel.
The price for me on the website and at the store was $62 and some change for a 3' section. I can do everything I need for mine from the ceiling through the roof to the cap for just over $300. Delivery charge was about $32 to my door and would cost me that and then some to drive to the nearest Menard's, so I'll order it.
Anyway, HTH.

They make (as other brands do) a pipe that is SS on the inside and outside and one that is SS on the inside but glavanized on the outside , no big deal just the price seems too low for the SS inner ond outer. I will be in Menards on tuesday and can take a look.

yep that is a heck of a price on that pipe! 430 outside and 304 inside

wingsfan said:
We are thinking of putting in a wood burner.I have went to a couple of the local stove dealers to check out what they have and get some figures on cost to install a stove. Man, both places I went to are figuring around $2000 for the chimney( just 20ft stainless, run up side of house) and all the pieces to go thru wall and hangers and cap, everything on outside of house.Then the cost of thier stoves. $2000-$2500. And that doesnt include install on anything. 4ft sections of pipe from them is around $239 each peice.I can get them at Menards for $69. I could find a stove and do have the ability to install it myself,and save myself a bunch of money, but we have had a major house fire before, so I know the insurance company will want it installed by a licensed installer.I love wood heat, but for maybe $5000, is it even worth it. I would really love a new stove.

The stuff aint cheap. Look at fron the point of how long it will take to re coupe your initial cost. I know all the crap I bought, originaly the wood furnace than the Jotul, the timber wolf splitter, a conveyor. I think Im about even steven now after 8 years. Now all my chit wore out and I have to start over, (just kidden) its a big investment but it will pay for itself

It really is true. I paid $59.99/3' three years ago, sale price. I would have done it again, but I like the Metalbest ceiling support better, and the pipe itself seems to be a little better quality. At least it 'feels' better. Plus, all I had to do was give Sean at dynamitebuys a few measurements, and he got me everything I needed, shipped to my door. I didn't price everything at Menard's, but I might have saved $100. Plus, they don't stock 8" DSP, so that would have been special order. And, the closest Menard's is 40-45 minutes away.

If you do buy Supervent at Menard's, open the boxes up and check the pipe for dents. It isn't very well packaged, and I had to go thru a bunch to get four good pieces. The Metalbest came well protected.

Somebody want to wake up Dennis? Something missing in this thread.

PapaDave said:
I've been to the Menard's website AND the store on more than one occasion. The Supervent they carry is CLASS A. Says so right on the box. Stainless Steel.
The price for me on the website and at the store was $62 and some change for a 3' section. I can do everything I need for mine from the ceiling through the roof to the cap for just over $300. Delivery charge was about $32 to my door and would cost me that and then some to drive to the nearest Menard's, so I'll order it.
Anyway, HTH.

New chimney=new stove?

Wingsfan,

Why don't you give Rich Gabriel a call from Autumn Valley farms in Lapeer Michigan. Rich gave me a good price on my Osburn 2000 wood burning stove and chimney components. Rich also stands by what He sells and I am very pleased with his continued support of what I purchased from him.

As far as prices go, EVERYTHING is going up in cost and will continue until this country stops PRINTING money! I do not want to get into politics and I apologize for getting off subject matter.

Here is Richs number if you would like to call Him and I wish you success in searching for a wood burning stove.
Autum Valley Farms. Rich and Cindy Gabrial (810-664-5224)

For comparison sakes, I just installed a stove in CT - I paid for the installation as we have a high roof with the chimney near the peak - needed a 30 foot liner.
Stove (kennebec insert) + equipment + labor was $3800. Stove cost was approximately $2500, $650 for the liner and cleaning/install was the rest. The install labor, liner price was 10% discounted because I bought an unused display stove. Normal stove price at that store was approx. $2800

I was quoted as high as $1100 just for labor at other places, looking at near $2000 for labor + materials.

Stove $2235,pipe and install $1.700,free wood cut myself.Heating fuel for 1 yr 960 gal's.It was worth it.

Another area to consider for saving $$$'s is cutting your own wood. Sometimes that is as simple as scrounging for it. Someone has a tree that needs cut or has blown down and they just want to get rid of it. I've seen adds on craigslist for people giving wood away - all you have to do is cut it and haul it off.

We are seeing a lot of pick-up trucks around here loaded with firewood for sale. Some $80, others way over $100.

I say all that to say this - maybe some of the $$$'s you use/justify for your install may come from something other than the stove - your fuel savings by cutting your own wood.

Just a thought.
Bill

The original question was "Is it worth heating with wood given all these costs?"

From a business standpoint, the return on investment will take longer using the numbers you've been quoted.

That said, I asked the same questions. I have an ancient (pre-EPA) smoke dragon that is hardly an efficient wood burning appliance. However, my ancient heat pump gobbled up $800+/month in electricity. Since we already had the stove, I started scrounging for wood. That pushed my bill down to about $250 all in.

I too was shocked by some of the prices quoted for chimney and stove work. I'm a relatively handy guy (no pun intended)... if you look for threads about my chimney adventure (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83767/) you'll see that there's a lot you can do yourself with the help you'll get here.

As mentioned, wood turned out to be pretty easy to come by. Also gives me a bit of much-needed exercise.
Is it worth buying a $2500-$3000 stove? Read a lot here before answering that for yourself... I was on the edge of coughing up for about a $2k stove when research showed that a $600 or so unit would do just as well.

I lined my chimney myself. Fully insulated cost me less than $500

oldspark said:
yep that is a heck of a price on that pipe! 430 outside and 304 inside

It's definitely stainless inner and outer. I installed Selkirk Supervent this fall. All good, un-dented pipe and parts purchased from Menards. It cost $500. I would do it again. Also, if you special order through Menards, no shipping charge!

I did my own install and it took 5k before I was "done" spending cash on my setup. Wood is a lot of work. If I had NG I wouldn't bother at all, at all, AT ALLLLLLLLL.

But we don't, so I do.

I have all the cutting and splitting things i need,Got a stihl farmboss, TSC splitter.I do split and sell some camp fire wood to locale campers, as well as use it for my own us. I scrounge and buy wood.Local tree service will deliver 5-7 face cord loads of managable size rounds and trunks for $100.Work is not a problem also. I guess I just need to find a stove I like at a cost I like, and get the thing fired up.I do like all the comments from this site. They make you feel like your right at home.

I have all the cutting and splitting things i need,Got a stihl farmboss, TSC splitter.I do split and sell some camp fire wood to locale campers, as well as use it for my own us. I scrounge and buy wood.Local tree service will deliver 5-7 face cord loads of managable size rounds and trunks for $100.Work is not a problem also, i love the outdoors. I guess I just need to find a stove I like ,at a cost I like, and get the thing fired up.I do like all the comments from this site. They make you feel like your right at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.