Prices are outragous

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsfan

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2008
Jackson,Mi.
We are thinking of putting in a wood burner.I have went to a couple of the local stove dealers to check out what they have and get some figures on cost to install a stove. Man, both places I went to are figuring around $2000 for the chimney( just 20ft stainless, run up side of house) and all the pieces to go thru wall and hangers and cap, everything on outside of house.Then the cost of thier stoves. $2000-$2500. And that doesnt include install on anything. 4ft sections of pipe from them is around $239 each peice.I can get them at Menards for $69. I could find a stove and do have the ability to install it myself,and save myself a bunch of money, but we have had a major house fire before, so I know the insurance company will want it installed by a licensed installer.I love wood heat, but for maybe $5000, is it even worth it. I would really love a new stove.

You just need to have the town inspector sign off
Do it yourself but get your info from here and it will get done better /safer than if you hired someone

wingsfan said:
We are thinking of putting in a wood burner.I have went to a couple of the local stove dealers to check out what they have and get some figures on cost to install a stove. Man, both places I went to are figuring around $2000 for the chimney( just 20ft stainless, run up side of house) and all the pieces to go thru wall and hangers and cap, everything on outside of house.Then the cost of thier stoves. $2000-$2500. And that doesnt include install on anything. 4ft sections of pipe from them is around $239 each peice.I can get them at Menards for $69. I could find a stove and do have the ability to install it myself,and save myself a bunch of money, but we have had a major house fire before, so I know the insurance company will want it installed by a licensed installer.I love wood heat, but for maybe $5000, is it even worth it. I would really love a new stove.

Could you see if an installer would tie everything together once you bought all the material and got the basic layout done? I guess they might not want the hassle for not much money, but you could ask.

The payback is pretty quick if you can get your own wood for the price of your time and cutting essentials (gas, oil. etc.). If you are buying your wood, it'll certainly take longer. Cheers!

The parts that Menards sells is not the same exact thing that the stove shop sells. They are two different product lines, even from the same manufacturer. The stove shop product is supposedly a higher grade product. That said, $239 per section still seems really high.

I used the Selkirk stuff from Menards. It is a good product, and meets the proper specs. If you do it yourself, don't mix and match class a components. You must use parts that are listed for use in the Selkirk manual. If you use an unlisted part, it may void the warranty and UL listing.

I say draw up your plans, pull your permits, and have the inspector out to sign off as appropriate. As long as the inspector signs off on your install, your insurance company should be happy. No shop installer needed.

My insurance company wanted a copy of my stove and chimney system manuals, and had me fill out some forms with diagrams and actual clearance measurements marked. Since I already had a fireplace in another room, my rates were unchanged after the install.

-SF

It is possible to install a stove for a lot less. My total stove install was a bit over $1000. I got a great deal on a used stove, purchased chimney components on line, installed everything myself. Had it inspected by the local building inspector. You need to shop around.

The chimney price doesn't seem to out of wack. Depending on the stove, those prices might not be so high either.

But....

If you want to save some $$$'s, you can do an install yourself.

Firstly - find out what your insurance company and building inspector require.

You go a long way in satisifying the above with an EPA stove and a class A chimney system. I put up a class A on the exterior of my house and it was a breeze.

I got my Metalbest chimney from dynamitebuys.com and my Englander 30-NCH from Home Depot.

There are lots of options for your to choose from to both reduce your install cost - yet get a quality stove/install.

Good luck,
Bill

Another option is to have it installed by a CSIA certified chimney sweep. The shops around here just hand you a sweep's card for installs.

You can buy 4 foot sections of class A pipe at Menards for 69 dollars?

oldspark said:

That sounds like the wrong pipe! Burning the house down time.....

I think you are looking at the wrong double wall pipe....that is, interior double wall. Not chimney.

No doubt you can plumb your house, wire your sockets, or finish your drywall cheaper than a pro....but many, or in fact most, people are not capable of doing the job correctly from soup to nuts.

If you are very handy and skilled, you can tackle a job like this. But I would not suggest it for the very casual DIYer. As we used to say in the store, the first one is the hardest...and YOU only get to do the first one....

As always, it depends on whether you have more time than money - or more money than time.

oldspark said:

Sounds right. Thats what I paid 1 1/2 years ago.

In my area, Menards carries the 3' Selkirk Supervent class A stainless chimney pipe for just over $60 each. I installed mine this fall. It cost me about $500, plus my labor. Since I charged my wife $40 an hour, my labor totaled $640. So for $1140, not bad. Now, I have $640 to spend on a new table saw. LOL.

Some of these guys say they were spending 3-6K a year on fuel oil or propane!! I read one guy on here was buying 175 gallons of propane a month! Whats that tuff cost $3ish a gallon!!

Granted i think i saw you were in Mississippi (maybe i misread but thats where i thought it was) it may take you longer to recoup the cost but i put an insert in my house here in upstate SC and i am saving a good bit since the tail end last season and this season. But if your more south than i am a good heatpump will be hard to beat , of course your heat wont be as warm as the wood .

WOW i just looked, wrong Jackson! I see your in MIchigan, i think you will save that money in a few years up there. Was wondering why you had the pic of the giant snow plow!

Do you have to change the orifices on tube stoves when you go from soft woods to hard woods?

Joking, sorry!

It can cost a good amount of money if you are starting from scratch..no chimney or stove..hearth.
Then there are chainsaws..mauls..splitters..if you go after your own wood.

But I still think it's worth the price of admission if you can swing it.

Good luck!

Why must you always try to stir chit up with the cat/secondary debate? Nothing was said about what type stove. The guy is asking about install costs and piping costs.
Do you realize your making yourself look like an jackass at this point?
Quite hijacking everyone's threads with this bullshit!!
You done beat that horse to death, and there is nothing amusing about it at this point, except possibly you amusing yourself.

Hogwildz said:
Why must you always try to stir chit up with the cat/secondary debate? Nothing was said about what type stove. The guy is asking about install costs and piping costs.
Do you realize your making yourself look like an jackass at this point?
Quite hijacking everyone's threads with this bullshit!!
You done beat that horse to death, and there is nothing amusing about it at this point, except possibly you amusing yourself.

It was just a little joke and I did give him some info that seems appropriate.
If you were to ask me your post is way more out of line them my little joke.
Burn what you want..both types have their up's and down's.

Wings,
Before you dive into the stove & pipe.
Make a list of what you need. Research it to death, and if you feel comfortable doing it yourself, and with plenty of support here, then go for it.
Check out some vendors sites for the piping.
Can you go straight up inside the house and through the roof?
Last I was in Home Depot, they had 3' sections of 6" Duravent for $86 bucks a pc I think it was. They also have the through roof or through wall kit.
There are plenty of sites, but here are two that come to mind as far as class A:

http://www.ventingpipe.com

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com

wingsfan said:

I live a couple counties over from you wings an I can honestly say the first people to ask are you insurance company. We do not have state wide regulation but county by county in Michigan! Our insurance company only requires a inspection ticket upon complete install however my neighbor requires a certified installer it just depends on insurance. I did my pipe install myself and can say it is not that hard and for me it allowed me to do it how I wanted it including better clearances than the installers would have done. The county from what I can tell really just does inspections and clearances as it is up to them not the state! The pipe you are looking at may be interior gas double wall I made the mistake when pricing to use that price until I realized it was the wrong pipe. It is right next to the wood stove pipe and misleading the current double/triple wall price around here is 100 per 3 ft section. If that is the right pipe at 69 a section snap it up man!!!!!!! I also know that around this area of Michigan at least stove stores will rip your shirt of on stove pipe ( sorry store owners but its the truth ) it is very expensive with the claim of better quality. I never saw anything that much better in exterior double wall than what TSC & Menards, interior pipe is a different story stove companies defiantly have better quality interior double wall pipe.

Pete

Think about your gas vs wood cost how fast will it pay itself back? I just paid over 2k for our new stove but it will pay itself back this winter the old one was not even half as efficient it was a no brainer to us. forgetful me forgot to mention we found that our insurance company views a wood stove as a furnace and it doesn't raise our rates or make us high risk! Shop around a bit if you need to see what you can come up with we have 2 cars full coverage, motorcycle 12 month coverage, 3 rider policies, homeowners insurance and life insurance our payment around 120 a month for all of they because of multiple policy discounts. There are deals to be had loyalty to insurance companies only goes as far as your wallet allows!!

The best of luck with this decision!
Pete

woodsmaster said:
oldspark said:

Sounds right. Thats what I paid 1 1/2 years ago.

Now That I think about it that price was for 3' sections

Thanks for all th help. I have installed a wood burner in the polebarn,but the insurance co.doesn't know about that one.I was looking at the correct pipe to use and the first stove store I went to gave me a list of all the parts needed. The easiest way to run my chimney is out thru the wall then up the side of the house with a cleanout t outside.I guess I will have to check with the insurance co. and township, then I will really know what is needed. I figure to get proper clearances I need 4 1/2ft of black pipe on the inside, then thru the wall, then between 17 -20ft of chimney on the outside. I am hoping to do everything for right around a $1000. I think that is posible, depending on what I pay for a stove.

I bet you have around $700 in a chiminey if you go with menads or lows products. The accessorys really add up.

wingspan Let me know if you need help I will gladly make the trip and give you a hand with installing it. I have an ulterior motive as well there is a good brewery that way that my wife and I love gives us an excuse to go there and eat lol :lol:

Pete

Yep those prices are high, but run some numbers to see how long it takes to pay for itself in heat savings. My insert and chimney kit (just a liner up the existing masonry chimney) was $3 or 4k altogether, but when it pays for itself in ~3 years (less with this mild winter = no oil usage possible) it's easier to justify.

I just purchased my chimney from northern tool. They have Simpson Dura Plus triple wall for $89/ 3 foot section. I got a $100 gift card for spending a certain amount. My wall thimble was $300 from tractor supply. I was unsure about doing it myself but could not find anyone to install it for a fair price. One guy wanted $1300. With help from my dad the whole job took 3 hours, if I had to do it again, we could do it in 2. Once we got going it was pretty easy the hardest part was putting the Tee and support box in.

"The parts that Menards sells is not the same exact thing that the stove shop sells"
That must be the case, is the pipe at Menards the galva style I wonder. That price just seems to cheap for the SS on the outside pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.