Prices up for early buy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the rule of thumb was 1 bag pellets = 2.33 gallons of oil.
So $7 pellets = $3 per gallon of oil.
$4.50 pellets = $1.92 per gallon of oil.
$6 pellets = $2.57 per gallon.
Lastly $3.36 oil = $7.83 per bag of pellets or $392 (if free delivery ).

If you paid $345 per ton of Okanagan you would break even at $2.96 /gal., which is hardly worth all the effort pellet burning requires, a whopping savings of $1 per bag for all the storage, handling, stacking, daily and weekly cleanings, plus cost of stove maintenance items. 6 tons of Okies (@ $345 ) would save you $300 ( @$3.36/gal ) per heating season if you got free delivery and had zero maintenance cost.

If you pay $220 per ton at BBS and use 6 tons you save $1,036, again if you had free delivery and zero maintenance costs.

You can slice this pie a thousand different ways. My heating costs dropped by $1000 per season, even with $7 per bag pellets. I don't care how or why but I have $1000 more in my account than I would have using oil. That's the only figure I care about.

Reactions: Cheeks
I thought the rule of thumb was 1 bag pellets = 2.33 gallons of oil.
So $7 pellets = $3 per gallon of oil.
$4.50 pellets = $1.92 per gallon of oil.
$6 pellets = $2.57 per gallon.
Lastly $3.36 oil = $7.83 per bag of pellets or $392 (if free delivery ).

If you paid $345 per ton of Okanagan you would break even at $2.96 /gal., which is hardly worth all the effort pellet burning requires, a whopping savings of $1 per bag for all the storage, handling, stacking, daily and weekly cleanings, plus cost of stove maintenance items. 6 tons of Okies (@ $345 ) would save you $300 ( @$3.36/gal ) per heating season if you got free delivery and had zero maintenance cost.

If you pay $220 per ton at BBS and use 6 tons you save $1,036, again if you had free delivery and zero maintenance costs.
AND you have a SPACE HEATER, not a whole house heating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.