primary secondary question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I understand the question. What's 'p/p'?

In a primary / secondary system, you need an individual circ for each secondary loop - each heat source and each heat load. You also need an independent circ for the primary loop itself. One of the drawbacks of primary/secondary systems is that they use a good deal more electricity due to all the circulators running.

p/p is an abbreviation for pump like v/v is an abbreviatoin for valves its used on ships drawings or schematics .

I have been reading a little on your controller on your site. Do you sell them NoFo.
I am still trying to figure out how im going to pipe my eko into my existing system.
I am thinking a primary secondary type system might work .
I will try posting another drawing of what I have in mind soon.

Thanx Huff

Let me make a conjecture that Huff is asking if he could pump a boiler bypass loop and draw zone energy from that

sure

but its not hydraulic separation

A true primary secondary would have a loop with closely spaced tees for the secondary piping to connect.

The intent is so each loop gets the intended flow without changing the other loop. Flow can go different directions across the closely spaced tees under some conditions.

A secondary loop could run without the primary loop circ running, but the primary loop would not move energy into the secondary loop.

The term primary secondary does get used to describe different piping scheme, but a true P/S must have closely spaced tees, or a device intended to perform the same function, a hydro separator, the Taco twin tee, etc.

We would need to see a drawing of what the piping looks like to answer your question.

hr

huffdawg said:
p/p is an abbreviation for pump like v/v is an abbreviatoin for valves its used on ships drawings or schematics .

I have been reading a little on your controller on your site. Do you sell them NoFo.
I am still trying to figure out how im going to pipe my eko into my existing system.
I am thinking a primary secondary type system might work .
I will try posting another drawing of what I have in mind soon.

Thanx Huff

There are stickies at the top of this forum that explain a couple of different basic approaches to plumbing in a boiler. Primary/secondary is the most sophisticated and offers the best control over flow in each part of the system. It requires more circulators and consumes more electricity as a result. It's common in systems with widely varying loads and/or heat sources.

The main alternative is supply/return. I have a brief writeup on both approaches near the bottom of the page here.

huffdawg said:
....I have been reading a little on your controller on your site. Do you sell them NoFo.....

I am selling them, but quietly for now. I also give away the design for free to the really hard-core techies out there. There's probably half a dozen or more Hearth members who either bought one or built their own. If you're interested, PM me or contact me from my own site. As a moderator, I really have to be careful not to run afoul of the 'No Commercial Posts' policy.

My controller is overkill for most systems, unless you're really into the technology and gadgetry of it.

in hot water said:
A true primary secondary would have a loop with closely spaced tees for the secondary piping to connect.

The intent is so each loop gets the intended flow without changing the other loop. Flow can go different directions across the closely spaced tees under some conditions.

A secondary loop could run without the primary loop circ running, but the primary loop would not move energy into the secondary loop.

The term primary secondary does get used to describe different piping scheme, but a true P/S must have closely spaced tees, or a device intended to perform the same function, a hydro separator, the Taco twin tee, etc.

We would need to see a drawing of what the piping looks like to answer your question.

hr

I am at work right now but I will try and get a drawing posted tonight some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.