Probe temperature variance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Finally yesterday I had a chance to tinker a bit with the cat temps on my BK Princess ceramic cat. At one point in the morning before reload the BK numberless probe read about 10:30am. I pulled the probe out and inserted a thermocouple probe. The meter at once read 152*C or around 305F. This was a brand new probe from Auber. I put the BK probe back in, reloaded the stove. Hour later the BK probe read about 13:00, pulled it out, inserted the thermocouple and it at once read 680F. Then I decided to insert a condar cat probe and it read 750F. I am confused

Attachments

• 4F72A9E8-0229-4A97-9B9D-3D9BB09DD842.jpeg
    4F72A9E8-0229-4A97-9B9D-3D9BB09DD842.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 4E0745ED-49E1-45B9-8D0F-A622438F76A2.jpeg
    4E0745ED-49E1-45B9-8D0F-A622438F76A2.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 106
  • BFE63F34-37D8-4573-B214-0CF83E9F6D1E.jpeg
    BFE63F34-37D8-4573-B214-0CF83E9F6D1E.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 103
Assuming the probe location once inserted is the same for all three, I would go with the thermocouple as providing the most accurate reading. It appears that the other two probes can be calibrated (hex nut). I would calibrate them to the thermocouple reading. Just be sure you are at steady state as much as possible before calibrating.

A 100 degree variance is within the margin of error for those cheesey coil type cat probes. And as Mech e just said, a 100 degree variance is also easily explainable by the readings being a minute apart (the thermostat is opening and closing a little all the time).

Test the Auber by giving it a good mechanical connection to something that you can also test with an IR gun (the stovetop perhaps), and then believe the Auber from there on out. The Auber should be more accurate than the IR gun too, but it will give you a sense that things are working right.

Reactions: Diabel
I just ordered a new auber at100, cause mine was’nt wokin right anymore, I think ??

Recent testing has shown me that the thermocouple probe is very quick and that the bimetallic style probes are quite slow to react. I also found that my two Condar flue probes are reading lower than the Auber probe.

It has been (sort of, among fells here) agreed that the bi metallic springs are set differently between the BK probe and the Condar probe. My makeshift digital (Celsius) meter read lower than the condar. I meant to bring the Auber meter from the city (it reads bang on). Perhaps that reader is faulty. I will order a second Auber meter for the BK. Regardless, I think my BK cat temps are on the low side hence the plume (steam). Today I have been running it harder (15:30 on the thermostat setting), outside temps 33f and I overheated the house.....

Today I have been running it harder (15:30 on the thermostat setting), outside temps 33f and I overheated the house.....
Go Finnish and turn it into a sauna. Get out the birch branches and then go jump in the lake (clothing optional).

Reactions: Diabel