Probe temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the highest probe temps that people are comfortable with? The "optimum operation" range on my probe range from 350 to 900. I have double wall stove pipe.

If things were to get up towards 950-1000 (the maximum recommended sustained temps for many chimney components) the operator should be making a plan to see that it doesn't go any higher.

Sounds like you haven't installed it yet? Or have you and seeing temps much higher than expected?

pen

Last edited:
I try to keep mine under 900, which I have been able to do since the install of my damper.

Edit : I should add that this is on startup / reload only. I aim for 500 - 600 while cruising.

Last edited:
I try to keep it under 900 degrees F . . . normal operating temp seems to be around 600 degrees F . . . give or take a 100-150 degrees.

I re-read this a few times and it's not clean but I assume you are talking about an INTERNAL probe of the chimney, not an external IR probe? Yes/no?

Personally my probe thermometer temps hover around 400-450. I don't want too much heat going up my chimney. Enough heat to avoid creosote but so little that I don't heat the outdoors. My stove's manual states same.

I don't ever see it go to 900...maybe 600 max.

Yes internal temps right above stove top. Mine occasionally get upwards of 750. I try to maintain 600 for a max though. But then again my probe reads temps in the stove pipe 18" above the stove top. Temps drastically decrease the further away you go from the stove right?

My probe temps will spike above 600 on startup occasionally. They went up to 800F this morning on a cold startup. As soon as I cut back the air they settled down to about 550F with a 650F stovetop.

Status
Not open for further replies.