problem connecting Selkirk insulated chimney pipe sections

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikoni

Jul 22, 2023
Canada
I'm trying to connect a 2' insulated pipe from the bottom to 5' already in place on the roof. Selkirk insulated pipe. Can't for the life of me get the new 2' section to slip into the one above it. It'll go in about 1/4" and that's it, needs to go an another 1/4" or 1/2".
I think it might be the weight of the insulation in the 5' above that's making it so difficult, but not sure.
Any ideas, tips or tricks?

How is the rooftop pipe supported? If it has a rooftop support bracket, it's not going to budge much. Why is chimney pipe being added below instead of stove pipe?

roof-support-bracket.png
This is a generic, roof support bracket.

No roof top bracket. Top pipe sits in a cathedral support box and is held there by a locked band that's only fastened to the chimney pipe, not the box. So top section can be lifted up.
Insulated pipe is going in below as it's passing through a framed opening in the attic floor from the living room into the attic.IMG_20230722_160336_7.jpg

It's an owner-built house happening in installments, that's why this is being done kinda backwards.

Insulated pipe is going in below as it's passing through a framed opening in the attic floor from the living room into the attic.
That is an odd one. There will need to be a fire block and attic insulation shield at the framed, ceiling pass-through. This will maintain the required 2" clearance. Why does it need to be raised up instead of just connected?

My problem is the new pipe doesn't slip into the top pipe as far as it has to. That's the advice I'm seeking as I mentioned in my initial post: how to slip it on as far as it needs to go.

The top section does not need to be raised up. Raising it a bit and bringing it down on the new pipe, as well as turning it has helped to slip the new pipe partially on, but it doesn't go on as far as it needs to.

Selkirk makes several different chimney pipe brands. Is this SuperVent by Selkirk? If so it should just insert and twist lock. However, if the new pipe is not the same type of Selkirk chimney pipe then they may not mate.

Got it. That's the old locking band style. Just a guess here, Tte insulation on the existing piece may have settled down a little toward the base. If so it may take more force to compress it.

Yeah, that's my hunch too. Guess I have to figure out how to keep the top section from moving up when pushing from below.

Can you get someone topside to hold the chimney pipe from above?

Yeah, that's my hunch too. Guess I have to figure out how to keep the top section from moving up when pushing from below.
Put a 2x4 across the top. Tie a rope to it and drop down the chimney. Tie a loop just above the floor. Thread rope and loop through new section. Stand on the loop while pushing new section up???