Problem Not sure why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gripper93

Oct 1, 2009
central ohio
I have an englander 25pdvc Its a 2004 mod. 5 feet straight out the wall pipe. I woke up the other morn and it was cold. The fire was low. I turned it up to 5 and still low. I then noticed that the top auger motor was barley moving it was clear of obstructions so I decided to put a new motor on. I purchased one from grangier to save some money. Now I run my stove on heat setting 1 and 1-4-9 settings. The fire is very hot keeping the house around 80 1500sf. I can deal with the heat but now I'm using 1 bag every 10 hours on those settings. I was getting close to a bag a day. Has anyone ever had anything like this? I am wondering if its the control board. I have also noticed the new motor seems to run loose as if when the power stops it continues to run for a second. If you have anything post it I'm up for trying anything. I love this stove but I cant keep it running 2 to 3 bags a day on such low settings. Thanks

The motor has to be exactly the same RPM as the one it replaced if not you will go through pellets either faster or slower.

I agree with STB, Can you give us the info on the auger motor you replace the original with. Pretty sure the original is a 1 RPM motor. If the new motor has more RPM's it will feed more fuel to the fire even on low settings!

The motor is 1rpm same specs as the orig. It is made by Dayton.

Sorry my aot is 1. Not sure why I put 9. Guess I was wanting it to over heat before coming on.

gripper93 said:
Sorry my aot is 1. Not sure why I put 9. Guess I was wanting it to over heat before coming on.

I was more concerned that you had read the numbers backwards as in your LFF was 9 which would go a long way in explaining your pellet consumption.

You might want to time the top auger and to verify the mode the controller is set at.

On the 25pdvc AFAIK the top auger runs constent and the bottom is cycled. You didn't happen to switch the wires by any chance?

j-takeman said:
On the 25pdvc AFAIK the top auger runs constent and the bottom is cycled. You didn't happen to switch the wires by any chance?

It's the other way around Jay....bottom auger is continuous, and top intermittent.

To the OP, try doing a control board reset:
Unplug & plug stove back in. Within 5 seconds, press all 3 bottom buttons at the same time....display should go to "F 5", and then off. Re-check your bottom 3 button settings ( I thought a PDVC was supposed to be at 4-6-1?).

Also, do a control board diagnostic:

www.englanderstoves.com/help/PelletStove/diagnostic_mode04.html

Its wired right. The bottom auger runs constant. The top motor runs ever 10 seconds. I have been running it like this for about 2 weeks now I am doing my own testing to see whats going on. I have moved the bottom motor which I replaced last year to the top and put the new motor the dayton on the bottom. I would say maybe just a little change but still using to many pellets on such low settings. I hate to pay 200+ for a control board if it isn't what I need But it seems to be going that way. It just doesn't make since. The top auger allows how many pellets I use correct? It only turns every 10 seconds. Is there a way to check the current on how long it fires for or how much current is needed?

Can you tell us the on time for the top auger and then the off time?

That should correspond to a table in the stoves documentation somewhere.

Also it would help to know the mode that stove is in, there are 4 heat modes on that controller if it is in the wrong mode things will not operate as you expect them to.

Smokey The timeing seems to be on for maybe 1 second then off then back on in 10 seconds for 1 second. As for the mode I'm not sure what you mean? Can you tell me how to check. I have shut it down for the night so If it needs to be running I'll have to get back with you.

first off, the control board would not have reacted to a motor change at all, if the first motor was barely moving and the second is cycling normally the board is not causing that so dont panic and buy a board just yet , let me see if i can correct the one you have.

first off the default LFF for that year model was 5 , could be set lower if need be. if its at 9 as one of our posters questioned , that has a lot to do with it.

as for a hard reset in an 04 board that will revert the mode setting to "A" and it will need to be reset back to "d" to do this follow the steps below if you rebooted

unplug
replug , immediately press the bolwer up and down arrows togeher (2 fingers) and release
the letter for the mode will show in the heat range, use the heat range up or down arrows to adjust (hurry as you have about 5 seconds to do so) if you arent quick enough just unplug, replug and resum until you have mode "d"

as for the after market motor , note that all "1rpm" motors arent exactly 1 rpm , they can range from 45 seconds to 75 seconds. if the dayton is causing afaster feed puttting it on the bottom would help.

EDIT: BTW a 5 ft horizontal and no vertical is not within the required parameters for that model stove , max horizontal is 4 ft and we require a minimum 3 ft vert, with longer horizontals i usually suggest a longer vert to make up EVL. not scolding mind you , just suggesting as if you have a power failure or other type of sudden shutdown you may find yourself with smoke release into the house.

Mike thanks for the info. I have tried to do the heat range thing it isn't working. I am sorry it is a 2001 mod. I rechecked my papers. Can the reset still be done on this stove? As for the pipe thanks for the info the local stove guy told me no problems with straight pipe but I'll take your word and do some re-pipeing. The aftermarket motor has been on the bottom for about 3 days now with no change.

gripper93 said:
Mike thanks for the info. I have tried to do the heat range thing it isn't working. I am sorry it is a 2001 mod. I rechecked my papers. Can the reset still be done on this stove? As for the pipe thanks for the info the local stove guy told me no problems with straight pipe but I'll take your word and do some re-pipeing. The aftermarket motor has been on the bottom for about 3 days now with no change.

ok, 2001 model is different as it has the older board , do this , unplug, push AND HOLD the blower up and down, release after you have the unit plugged in , this will bring up the letter code, set to "d" , preset for LFF on a 2001 with the 98 board is 4 for the LFF and 1 for the other 2 buttons

if this doesnt get it , give me a yell on the CS line, i'll help ya figure it out

EDIT , one more thing , when you pulled the motor and changed it , did you notice if the auger would move front to back any? if teh auger can slide front to back it can free feed, check the 2 allen head setscrews in the bearing (1/8 inch allen) if they are letting the auger walk back the stove will free feed and run very heavy, locate the setscrews ensure the auger is all the way forward and lock down the allen screws

Status
Not open for further replies.