Problem with enviro empress and thermostat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris246810

Oct 13, 2014
new york
Hello I hooked upu thermostat to my FS enviro empress stove I set it up and tested it on the on/off setting. I set my stat to out stove on at 65 degrees. It goes on perfectly but it don't stay on what could be the problem. Could there be a setting on the thermostat to make it chit down? I thought a thermostat has to have a temp set to go on an a set temp to go off . Could the thermostat be set to go off too soon? Any information would be great thank you

Does it have a swing temp you can set? With a swing of 2, the stove should run until you are 2 degrees over your set temp, and then turn back on when the temp is two degrees below the set temp

I don't think I the enviro has a setting for the swing tem I have to contact dealer I ordered it from . If it isn't the swing temp what else could it be?

The swing set is in the thermostat, what model do you have?

Hello I have a Honeywell RTH111B stat. It's a non programmable one cause all I want is it set to go on a certain temp and go off at a certain temp. My stove runs for two hours and moves up one degree then shuts down I just confirmed that.

I don't have time to look up any specs, and I am far from an expert, but I am guessing that the thermostat runs on 24 volts with a common wire? The stove should run on a millivolt thermostat, it is not compatible with a lot of the standard thermostats.

Edit: I actually looked it up, your thermostat is a 24 volt, you will need to rig a transformer and relay switch to make it work with your stove, there is a thread on this forum for doing that

Helloi spoke to the dealer that also installed the stove for me they are verified with enviro. They told me it is able to work with any thermostat and I only need to hook up the two wires to the stove and to the stat. So I'm thinking now what could the problem be. It could be the thermostat I'm gonna try and pick up a millvolt thermostat for cheap to see if that's the problem. I don't want to go rigging up a transformer and relay switch. (Haven't had time to look for the post on here yet) I don't want to void any warranty that was giving to me. Is that easy to put together te transformer and relay?

Some thermostats anticipate the temp rise after the heating systems shuts off, to prevent overshooting, and shut off before the desired temp is reached. Some t'stats will "learn" how much to anticipate, over time. Read the instructions for your stat to see if yours does - it should make some mention of it, probably under some other term, though.

Hello this is what my enviro empress manual says about thermostat. It says I can use a 24 or 12 volt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 187
Oops, sorry about that, assumed it was the same as an M55. I guess that goes back to figuring if the swing can be set. I looked up the tstat on amazon, and one of the reviews was this:

"The only thing I don't like about this is that it's very sensitive. A change of 2 degrees will make this thing turn on! Very annoying, because alot of times, the stove will be cycling down, and then start right back up again. Why not just let the thing run :( You can fix that by just bumping the heat up so it keeps it on, and then back down. Annoying, but at least it's reliable. It runs. It starts the stove up and turns it off, and I have yet to wake up to a freezing cold house :)".

Try running the stove in hi/lo, it will save some wear and tear on your igniter

Why don't you try setting the temp on the thermostat to a high number. LIke 80. Then see how long the stove runs. It obviously shouldn't shut off until the room temperature reaches 80. In the op you said that you're setting the thermostat to 65. What is the room temperature?

Hello that's what I'm thinking about about. But that's my question or problem I have the low temp set to 65 degrees and the room is 75 durning the day how come I can't set the high temp on when I want the same thermostat stay to shut the stove off I think that the problem with the theromostat. Isn't a thermostat sooposed to have a setting for what temp u want to go on and at what temp u want it to go off?

No, you set it for one desired room temp, it will turn the stove on below this temp and off above this temp. As said before, the swing temp setting will control how many degrees above and below the set temp that the stove will be turned off/on. My thermostat allows a swing of either 1, 2 or 3 degrees, I use 2.

Do you have a manual for the thermostat? The product description on amazon says something like it has "advanced temperature monitoring to maintain temperature at +/- 1 degree" so I am guessing you can't set the swing and it uses 1. Sounds to me like it is working fine, set it at the temp you want the room and let it run.

Not familiar with that particular model however most Honeywell T Stats have a narrow swing temp and use a program that doesn't really go on and off at a set temp but splits the anticipated run time up into several cycles per hour. This means that it will turn on and off up to 9 times an hour.
I have a honeywel in my house and will put in something else someday it is very annoying to have the ac and heat come on and off several times an hour when one cycle would do the job. This is done to create comfort the end result is that it is annoying to me.
Braeburn makes a nice looking stat with adjustable swing temps.

Hello thak you for the replies. So basically I set the stat for the desired room temp. So I want the room to be 70 degrees I set it to 70 degrees an it will go on when it hits 69 or 68 degrees. Then shut off when it hit 70. So setting it to 65 and if the swing is 2 it will go off at 67. So then I need to have it set to 70 or get a stay that I can adjust the swing up to 4 digits so I then can set it at 65 and then it will go off at 69-70. To have a stat set up with a swing of 1 or 2 degrees isn't that good cause right now I have it on auto on/off being that it's not winter so for the stove to go on for two degrees isn't worth it right now. Correct? I should leave it manual for now. Or get a stat with a higher swing setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.