problem with MT. Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Jun 25, 2009
upstate NY 12025
I am having an issue with my stove when the room calls for heat it starts up and the fire starts it is a small fire out goes out. I check the burn pot and all pellets are burnt up. the red call light is on I reset the stove and pellets drop and it starts up and runs properly. the problem seems to be when it has long periods between calls from the t stat. I am wonderinf if my igniter is going bad. first cycle it cant heat up all the way second time it is warmed up and it is able to. I have no jams is this how you find out if the igniter is going bad.

Is this an AE with the programmable LCD thermostat or the older model? It sounds like an original Mt Vernon to me, not the AE model.

If the pellets ignite, the ignitor is fine. Thats all it does is start the fire.

Your thermocouple might be getting weak
Check to make sure the thermocouple tip is touching the end of the porcelain sleeve
Check all air paths, exhaust and intake. If anything is restricted it will cause poor airflow, which causes poor ignition.

what is the best way to test the tc on the stove it is the older mt. vernon. my question is once i hit the reset the stove fires up and runs fine it seems to be only after it has cooled down and is cold.

I have had a similar problem with my castille, however, i figured out it was because the stove had run dry (out of pellets), and when i had refilled the hopper, and reset the stove, it took a while for the auger to get the pellets dropping. This is also true when you start the stove for the 1st time. Godd luck, hope this helps...

You can test it with a multimeter to check the readings on it. I cannot remember the exact numbers. I want to say 400mv is green light and 700mv is red light. These are the lights on the clear control box I am talking about. If it never gets a green light on start up, it will not feed anymore pellets and the fire will go out. I suspect this id what your problem is. Just because the thermocouple is not getting up to temp does not mean its bad though. That would be the last resort after all other possibilities are investigated (the ones I mentioned above).

Remember, 95% of problems with pellet stoves are from lack of maintenance (cleaning). And if you think everything is clean and proper, check it again. Baffles, comb blower blades, exhaust vent, cap, fire pot air holes, fire pot floor seal, door gasket seal, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.