Problems cleaning my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
Problem cleaning my PE insert. I have a 6" round liner that goes into a 6"oval at the point of the old flue opening (brick chimney) and back to round 6" at the top of the stove. I cannot get my brush into the oval section. It feels like the rope on the end of the brush is catching on something. I can't get it through from the bottom either. I'm using the soft 6" poly brush that is recommended by everyone. Any suggestions on how to clean this? Should I get a 5" brush and clean from the bottom? So far I only have about a cup of ash but I want to make sure the oval section is clean.
Thanks!

I have the same problem cleaning my insert.

What we've come up with, is to tie the brush to a 20' piece of dog tie out chain, and let the chain drop down (remove the baffle, and cover the back intake with some foil, plastic, what ever). We see saw the chain ( 1 person up top, one at the insert), tied to the brush, and hump it up and down ( *is going to regret that terminoligy :) ), and pull it past the oval. It feels like it's going to give, but does not.

Hope this helps :)

cmonSTART said:
Is your liner one continuous piece, just ovalized in that section? Or are there joints and seams in it?
The oval section is a seperate piece joined at either end.

Status
Not open for further replies.