Problems starting my Harman p-68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyJ

Feb 24, 2015
Wocester, ma
Hi,

I moved into a house and inherited a Harman p-68 and have not been using it for very long and have not had any issues with it until recently.

On a very windy day I opened the hopper while the stove was still burning, I since read I was not supposed to do that. I don't know if that act alone did something to the stove or if something got in the exhaust but since that day I have not been able to start the stove. The exhaust pipe is two feet off the ground.

I have done a full cleaning of the stove and cleaned the ESP-probe. I also tightened the door gasket.

When I try to start it the stove buzzes and besides the power and status lights the only other light to come on is the combustion blower light. The buzzing sound does not stop unless I pull the plug.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

the buzzing sound is perhaps the auger trying to turn and not running so there is no pellets in the burn pot and the stove will not light

I open my hopper door all the time with it running. I'm sure you did nothing there. So you are starting it on auto ignition ? Is the auger lights coming on ? Do pellets get to the burn pot ?

I open the hopper on my P61A EVERY day while it's burning, without issue.
I HAVE to do that in order to add fuel.
That is not the reason for your problems...
Are you sure that there isn't an error code blinking on the board?
Is your hopper gasket in good shape?

Exhaust fan turning? I know when they get stuck they can make a racket trying to run. I would go back and pull the fan cover and see if the fan easily turns. You have any idea of how old the stove is?

That buzzing sound should only come from a few parts of the stove. You need to find where it is coming from and go from there

This is a stupid question but is your exhaust which is only 2 feet off the ground clear of any snow or other obstructions?

Unplug the stove. Wait a few minutes. Plug the stove back in and turn the Temp knob to Test. Tell us what you observe.
Test Runs all motors at full speed for one minute to check operation. Afterwards the control will simulate a minimum burn with the combustion blower remaining on low.

Same here, I open mine all the time to scoop fuel in. I mean ALL of the time. Like a madman filling every gap in the hopper of pellets. There cannot be an inch in that hopper without it being habited by pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.