Problems with Hearthstone Clydsdale Fan after 1 year!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imalovesmax

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Western Washington
Good Morning,

Something is up with our fan on our beloved Hearthstone Clydsdale Insert.

Very bad vibrations after it has been running all day and now the thing is dipping in speed/force, turning off, and then goes full force again.

It is just out of warranty (of course!) and $85.00 just to come out to the house.

So, should I use the tech from the dealer or should I find someone else?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Will the manual point me in the right direction to do this?

I will take a look - they can't come out for a week. I can't see the fan, but it must be in there somewhere.

Page 28 of the owners manual.

You should be able to access the fan by removing the side and top panels of that little cast iron fan housing box that sticks out of the bottom of your insert. $85 bucks for a dealer who is familiar with your stove to come out isnt a bad price in my opinion. Try to save 20 bucks to have someone else come out may cost you more in the future. From the sounds of it, your fan may be going. How far out of the 1 year warranty is it? For my customers, if its close, I'll work with my rep at hearthstone and squeeze it thru anyhow. Do you have pets in the house? If so, regular cleaning of that fan is a must. Open it up like Adios mentioned, see if there is anything obvious. If not, hope that your dealer goes to bat for you.

3 weeks out of warranty. The shop said they would try to get it through, but still have the trip charge. After spending $4,000 about a year ago, the 85 seems high to me! Oh well.

We have animals, so it will be good to learn how to clean the fan.

Thanks for the reply.

IMA:

Your issue may have been addressed in an earlier post. I have the same problem with my brand new Clydesdale (one week in-use), but haven't asked for the parts to fix the problem yet. Under the right conditions of draft, temperature, and blower motor speed, the unit rattles. There is probably a more elegant way to refer to the subject post, but here it is:

Posted: 29 December 2010 06:13 PM [ Report ] [ Ignore ] [ # 6 ]
firestarter

central TX
Total Posts: 11
Joined 2010-12-08
my new clydesdale has been making a buzzing noise that is coming from the sheet metal that goes below the blower control. not sure if this is your issue but my dealer is ordering me the vibration dampener to resolve. the forum doesn’t allow attaching .pdf’s but i’ve pasted the text from it below.

©Hearthstone Quality Home Heating Products, Inc.
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com
R: 4 - 3/10/2010
Page 1 of 2
Technical Bulletin #122
Product Information
Clydesdale 8491 Air Shroud Vibration Dampener Install
Publication Date: 3/10/2010
Re: Clydesdale Model 8491
Starting Serial Number: 005000
Starting Production Date: June 2009
When the insert is in use, and up to temperature, blower operation can cause a resonance, or vibration in the
bottom air shroud sheet steel. This vibration can cause a loud hum that can change with temperature and
blower speed.
The high temperature silicon vibration dampener is designed to reduce any vibration of the bottom sheet steel
and eliminate the hum. The vibration dampener is easily installed without removing the insert from the fireplace.
Design changes to the bottom air shroud steel will eliminate resonance, or vibration issues in future production
runs.
The part number for the Vibration Dampener Kit is 3000-005
Procedure:
1. Remove the ash lip cover by loosening the two set screws. Take care to avoid chipping enameled finishes.
2. Place the vibration dampener to the left of the air control as shown. Compress and tilt the dampener under
the insert wedging it between the cast bottom of the insert and the bottom steel air shroud.

3. Push the vibration dampener completely under the insert as shown below. Ensure the dampener does not
interfere with the air control operation.

4. Re-install the ash lip cover.
Page 2 of 2

My blower makes a lot of noise when it needs to be cleaned. The dust etc throws off the balance and the motor strains when it needs oil.

I blow mine out really well with my compressor- do it outside.

Update!

Thanks for everyone's fast help on this the other day. The service guy just left & we are getting the dampening (sp?) kit from Hearthstone that someone posted about. We only have to pay 1 $85.00 trip charge.

When he took the top case off the fan, he showed me how the vibrations were causing the fan to slow down and sometimes stop.

If someone had not posted the info from Hearthstone, he would have made some adjustments and left!

The fan unit was very clean.

Happy ending!

I guess Hearthstone did not send out any dealer notices on this, but your dealer can call and get the kit at no charge.

Have a great day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.