Profile 2-20 Burn Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

yaemish

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Upstate NY
My new house has a Whitfiled Profile 20 stove that was installed and well maintained by the previous owner. I have read the manual numerous times and I think I now understand the ins and outs. I have a problem that I can't seem to find a solution to. I was constantly overflowing the basket with pellets and they aren't burning fast enough.

Last night I disconnected the stove from the horizontal exhaust (it goes directly outside and is only about 2 feet long. I cleaned out a lot of soot that was sitting in the part that connects the exhaust pipe to the blower. I also cleaned and scraped the entire stove, removed the photo eye and filter for cleaning, and replaced the 1/2" nylon gasket that goes around the front of the stove. Last night I ran it and noticed that the damper didn't really have much of an effect on the burn rate. The stove continues to burn a orange lazy flame and spill over the Ultra grate while on medium and high.

I use the premium Dry Creek pellets. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've double checked everything that the manual suggests and I am getting very frustrated. It is a very simple machine and just doesn't want to work correctly.

So you cleaned the entire stove, did you remove and clean the combustion blower fan? The cavity it sat in and the exhaust path from there back through the heat exchanger, burn pot and air intake?

Pile up is usually caused by lack of combustion air.

Every single part of that stove from air intake to the exhaust vent cap included needs to be clear some of this is out of sight. Also if you used an incorrect sized gasket around that door you can have an air leak that result in less air being pulled through the burn pot.

I didn't remove the fan itself. I'll do that now. I think I used the correct sized gasket, but the directions were poor and I ended up with a lot of extra nylon. I'm guessing that I shouldn't have pulled the nylon so tight, it lost a lot of its circumference. I also didn't have anything to seal where the stove connected to the exhaust. I just purchased some high temp silicone, I'll seal that now.

Be certain you have a gasket ready when you remove that combustion blower as it is very likely the old one will be destroyed in the process.

yaemish said:
I didn't remove the fan itself. I'll do that now. I think I used the correct sized gasket, but the directions were poor and I ended up with a lot of extra nylon. I'm guessing that I shouldn't have pulled the nylon so tight, it lost a lot of its circumference. I also didn't have anything to seal where the stove connected to the exhaust. I just purchased some high temp silicone, I'll seal that now.

Yes, for future reference, when you install rope gasketing, you do not pull it at all....just glue in place as it is normally.

As for the sealing of the exhaust pipe to the stove, you DO have an appliance adapter on the stove exhaust pipe, and the rest of the pipe connects to that, correct? Any idea what brand pipe it is? Maybe you could post a pic or 2 of the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.