Progress Clearances Getting Close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waulie

Minister of Fire
Aug 31, 2011
Nothern Lower Michigan
Just spoke with Woodstock asking about when clearances might be published for the Progress. I thought I'd post since it might save Woodstock a few calls.

They are getting some preliminary numbers in. They don't want to publish anything until the numbers are finalized. So, keep in mind this is very subject to change. That said, they are looking at 8" to 10" rear clearance with the heat shield. More interestingly, the front clearance is going to be a bit higher than their other stoves. They might be looking at 16 inches for the front. However, that can be measured directly from the stove to the hearth meaning both vertically and horizontally. Based on Mr. Pythagorean, that would be about 13 inches measured horizontally with the 10 inch legs.

Also, they didn't sound too certain about the first stoves shipping the last week of October, since they can't ship a stove without a manual, and they can't finish a manual without the clearances.

Maybe this post will save them a couple calls so they can keep working on our new stoves!

Waulie, thanks for the info. Any mention of the side clearances? How about R value needed for hearth? When I spoke to Woodstock today to ask about delivery date, they said that there was nothing official yet, but it might be a week or more. That "more" was a downer.

I didn't ask about side clearances. I didn't think about it since I don't have sides. :red:

I was also bummed to hear things might not "progress" on schedule. I know they are just as frustrated as we are.

I am currently watching my fairly decent wood quickly disappear into the 80's Black Bart firewood-eater. But hey, all things are temporary.

I have resigned to not expect the stove until the end of November. Things just seem to be going that way.

Waulie thanks for the info as many are anxiously waiting for this info.. This has to be very frustrating and costly for Woodstock too..

Ray

I'm just hoping that they are building the stoves as they wait and that once all these delays in getting clearances etc are worked out they will be able to print manuals, drop them in crates and start shipping stoves like crazy to those who have them on order. Time will tell.... Tough to be an early adopter some days.

Yes, frustrating and costly for all. I may still be youngish (hope so anyway), but I've been around business, testing labs,. and government regulations long enough to know that adding about a month to original projections is about the best case. I think since Woodstock hasn't had any new stoves in a very long time, they probably didn't realize the pain involved. I don't blame them a bit.

Now, if I could make a suggestion, it would be to remove the "two weeks from September 2nd" and "by September 27th" comments about final clearances from their website. These could turn some folks off. :zip:

YIKES! I am CLOSE on that front clearance! If Slow1 is right, and if I make pythagoras work a little harder to fine tune the numbers, the new Progress has a horizontal front clearance of 12.489995", which gives me about +1/2" of cushion in case the real clearance numbers get worse! :grrr: They are really make me sweat this out! :exclaim:

which gives me about +1/2†of cushion in case the real clearance numbers get worse!

Hey fire_man. The main reason I posted this is I remembered someone was worried about front clearances. What is your setup? Maybe even if the front comes in at 13 inches, the back will come in at 8 inches and you'll be all good? Obviously, we can't say for sure but you'll probably be OK!

Waulie said:
...Based on Mr. Pythagorean...

Actually, the man's name was Pythagoras of Samos.

Attachments

• Progress Clearances Getting Close
    200px-Kapitolinischer_Pythagoras_adjusted.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 346
Actually, the man’s name was Pythagoras of Samos.

So stately and masculine. Myself, I still believe the world is flat and was only created 20,000 years ago, and the Progress will begin shipping in a week. :)

I stand humble and corrected.

Waulie said:
which gives me about +1/2†of cushion in case the real clearance numbers get worse!

Hey fire_man. The main reason I posted this is I remembered someone was worried about front clearances. What is your setup? Maybe even if the front comes in at 13 inches, the back will come in at 8 inches and you'll be all good? Obviously, we can't say for sure but you'll probably be OK!

I have a Fireview with 9.5" of Brick front clearance surrounded by personally installed Hardwood floor. There is a 9" horizontal pipe connecting the SS flue to the FV. Since the Progress is 5" deeper than the FV, I have to move the Progress back 5" with respect to the FV just to back to the same 9.5" clearance I now have. Then I need to go back another 3.5" to get the estimated 13" clearance requirement of the Progress. That means theoretically all I have to do is remove the 9" horizontal pipe (and raise the SS liner 5.0" because the Progress is taller) and I "Should" be good. I measured door opening and Lid opening dimensions, should be ok. Worst case, I have to rip up the hearth and wood floors :shut:

I don't have any room to push the SS flue pipe back any further, its practically touching the rear of the smoke chamber opening already.

Here is a picture of the setup:

Attachments

1898 H.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 311
    IMG_1901 H.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 311
Sounds like you got it figured out, fireman. I wonder a little about the second pic. Do you have the height for the 10" legs to be pushed back? I'm a little concerned that the short legs / plinth will have longer front clearances.

Edit: That is a sweet set up! I guess absolute worst case is you remove part of one plank of floor and replace with brick/tile. While it would suck, I think it could look very nice and you'd likely forget about the extra work by March. :) At current estimates, I'm looking at about one inch to spare, myself!

I didn't ask about heart requirements today either, but I doubt it will be more than the Fireview.

Waulie said:
Sounds like you got it figured out, fireman. I wonder a little about the second pic. Do you have the height for the 10" legs to be pushed back? I'm a little concerned that the short legs / plinth will have longer front clearances.

Edit: That is a sweet set up! I guess absolute worst case is you remove part of one plank of floor and replace with brick/tile. While it would suck, I think it could look very nice and you'd likely forget about the extra work by March. :) At current estimates, I'm looking at about one inch to spare, myself!

I didn't ask about heart requirements today either, but I doubt it will be more than the Fireview.

Waulie:

Removing part of one plank and replacing with brick would be the quickest solution, at least until I get to Summer. I'm just bummed because I spent ages framing out the hardwood around the Hearth with a perfectly mitered frame. It would be nearly impossible (I think) to get it too look as nice because the hearth was framed first, then all of the hardwood installed afterwards.

I think you are correct about Heath requirements, I did speak w/ Woodstock a while back and they were hopeful that at least with the 10" leg option the Hearth requirements ("R" value") would be the same as the Fireview. The Plinth base is another story, they believed it would require a higher "R" value hearth and much more front clearance compared with the 10" legs.

I should be ok with the height, the new stove is 33.5" tall, my lintel is 35" inches high - but good catch I was worried about that. Glad to hear your clearances should work, I am on pins and needles waiting for the official numbers.

I hadn't posted anything because it is not final but will be very soon. Probably Monday. Tom did bring the stove back with him this time (his second trip to try to hurry them up) so that says they have some figures so it should be soon.

That is great news that Tom brought the stove back! :)

front clearance wont be an issue for me but the right side may be an issue. i plan on redoing my whole hearth in the spring but it would be real nice not to get into too much constuction before i can fire it up. has there been any mention of stove pipe lengths and hieght? this may be a problem. my order is for the plinth base only because i thought i may run into clearances with too short of a stove pipe to the chimney. i would much rather the legs, it looks better to me. well i am just hoping the info gets released soon so i can plan accordingly.

I do wonder how far you want to push it back there before you start running into issues reaching the air control....

Den said:
Tony, maybe you could ditch the tee and plug the liner into the top vent on the New Stove, allowing you to push the stove back a few more inches.

Den

That's an interesting idea I had not considered. I can't push it back too far or the front of the fireplace opening will prevent loading wood into the side door, and I will also run into problems raising the stove lid to clean the cat. As Slow1 mentions, the air control will also start to get tuff to reach. But its work thinking about and measuring....

Status
Not open for further replies.