Progress Hybrid break in fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
Have had a very enjoyable day breaking in my new stove. :) Break in fire #1 started at 8:25 and consisted of paper knots and 6 pieces of kindling. Left the bypass and draft wide open. Top got to 87 °F according to my IR thermometer. Fire out by 8:35. Break in fire #2 started at 10:30 and consisted of paper knots, kindling, and 2 small splits. Bypass and draft were again wide open. Temps on top went from 77 °F to 99.9 °F in 15 minutes to 105.2 °F in 30 minutes to 108 °F at 40 minutes. Slight acrid odor. Fire out at 11:10. Started 3rd break in fire at 2:15 with paper, kindling, and 3 splits. Bypass and draft were wide open, but I played with the draft once things got going (and I started to get scared that it would get too hot). Stove was very responsive to the draft adjustments, very pleased with this so far. Temps went from 77 °F at the start to 114 °F after 10 minutes to 166 °F after 15 minutes to 160 °F after 30 minutes to 204 °F after 45 minutes to 240 °F after 1 hour. More pronounced acrid smell this time around, although nothing to open windows about. The air purifiers did kick it up a notch or three (they sense the air and adjust accordingly). Just a few coals left at 4:10. I have noticed that there is a whistling sound coming from the tee. Called my installers and they said that it is the wind and a sign of good draft. Seems pretty constant, hmmm. So, I guess I'll try to run her during the day tomorrow and see how we fare. I'm glad to have gotten the break ins done when both my husband and son were not at home, they are chemically sensitive. Hope the worst of that is over, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong. Still think this is the most gorgeous stove I've ever seen. She did not disappoint in the looks department. I still can't get over that I could specify what look I wanted right down to the stones. I love Woodstock!!! Here's a pic of the first break in fire:

Attachments

• Essie_break_in_1.1.jpg
    Essie_break_in_1.1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 607
  • Essie_breaki_in_1.2.jpg
    Essie_breaki_in_1.2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 645
Looking good. You will probably get a little more breakin smell as you go up in temps. You may also see some sweating from the stone as the moisture is driven out. Keep us posted

Very nice, HH!

What are the instructions as far as break in fires? Could you have cut down the number a bit and taken the third one a bit higher? I'm going to have the wife and kids leave for break in and I'm just wondering if I can get her up to max temp over the course of a shortish day.

Thanks!

You'll be crankin' that bad boy up to full capacity soon enough! Enjoy it now, they are only young once ;-)

pen

Waulie said:
Very nice, HH!

What are the instructions as far as break in fires? Could you have cut down the number a bit and taken the third one a bit higher? I'm going to have the wife and kids leave for break in and I'm just wondering if I can get her up to max temp over the course of a shortish day.

Thanks!

Waulie, the instructions are a bit vague for the break in fires. "Both soapstone and cast iron need to be seasoned. The seasoning can be accomplished through a series of small to moderate fires." That's it. I don't do well with vague, so Backwoods Savage kindly provided me with a much more specific set of instructions for the break ins, which is what I followed. I may well do another moderate one tomorrow morning, although I really want to get and keep her going as the temps are dropping around here.

I am having fun, tho, even when I set my britches on fire :red:

Waulie, the instructions are a bit vague for the break in fires. “Both soapstone and cast iron need to be seasoned. The seasoning can be accomplished through a series of small to moderate fires.†That’s it. I don’t do well with vague, so Backwoods Savage kindly provided me with a much more specific set of instructions for the break ins, which is what I followed. I may well do another moderate one tomorrow morning, although I really want to get and keep her going as the temps are dropping around here.

I am having fun, tho, even when I set my britches on fire

Why not fire her up tonight? It's cold here too. I can't wait to stop shoveling wood in every hour or so! It's looking like my install will be Thursday-ish. I still haven't done the hearth as I don't want to take my current stove off line until the last minute.

Looking good! :) I'm drooling a little more each time I see pic's of one of these... Can't wait until my stove ships!

Waulie said:
Very nice, HH!

Thanks!

Waulie, I would not be too hasty to get to maximum temperature right away. I'd aim more for the 500-550 temperature. Second day burning, then go ahead. Remember those are some big stones and they can hold moisture so it is best to get that moisture out and that can not be done quickly. HollowHill has her stove going nicely today and is very happy with how her big old house is heating up. She is going to do just fine and so will you.

Very nice hill cant wait to hear the results of if being in full operation, temp wise, how long of burn and so on

Rock on!

Our progress is up and running. Have gone thru break-in period. I did the first overnight burn last night with mixed results. I loaded the firebox to approximately 80% capacity at 11:00PM and turned the fire down to what I thought would be a long slow burn setting (Approx 1/2" travel on air control lever from fully closed position). I thought this would be a slow setting since there was virtually no activity in the firebox and the glass had started to smoke up lightly.
I checked it at 8:00AM today and found enough embers for a re-load but not enough to go another 5 to 8 hours. Also the glass had completely cleared off. What I think happened is that the stove got hotter sometime during the night (this is why the glass cleared off) and consumed most of the wood at that time. The house was warmer than what I would have expected as well with the lower setting. I guess I'll have to keep experimenting with the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.