1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Progress Hybrid cat question / smoke smell

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by 3fordasho, Feb 6, 2013.

1. charly

charly Guest

What took the time,, just cleaning the gasket surfaces?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Boiler74

Boiler74 Member

Loc:
    West Lafayette, IN
    Just the whole project. You have to remove the two cast corner pieces, these rods that tie the top and bottom together, then the door, door frame, remove the old gasket, clean, the install the new. Then put it back together, install the rods, corners, etc. It isn't wham-bam-thank you ma'am work. Because you are around the stone you have to be careful with it. Oh, and you have to remove the stone above the door frame. It's just methodical work, being careful, and a lot of steps. It's not 15 minutes worth.
  3. charly

charly Guest

Well, at least it's a one time thing, and doing it yourself allows you to take your time and do a pin neat job... I'll be taking the Hybrid plunge soon, trading up from my Fireview.. After talking with Jamie,,, they do want to make sure that everyone has solved any smoke issues..so no one is left smelling smoke...That doesn't sound like too bad of a job to do...yes unfortunate that it happened, but at least you have a fix completed .
  4. Boiler74

Boiler74 Member

Loc:
    West Lafayette, IN
    Problem is doing that didn't fix my smoke smell. So you can do the work, and then have to wonder where else the smell is coming from.
  5. charly

charly Guest

Crap!!!!!!!!! So you are still getting smoke smell from where ? Same spot? What did Woodstock say!
  6. Boiler74

Boiler74 Member

Loc:
    West Lafayette, IN
    There are more areas that are suspected of leaking the smell, and they are working on it. See Lorin's post about that. They know that the door frame fix didn't work for me, and are putting together a protocol to get it fixed. At this point I'm going to trust that and work with them. And be patient. I'm not that good at being patient, so that is hard.
  7. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Did it fix the smell? Nevermind I should've read more before asking the question. ;lol