Progress Hybrid Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciccio

Apr 5, 2011
new jersey
Woodstock has just posted clearances on the website blog, hope this will be helpful to many people

Front hearth clearances can be reduced to 8â€, and the hearth R-value can be reduced to 0.40, with the installation of an optional 3.5†deep cast iron radiation shield/ash lip

That's pretty interesting. And all orders taking part in the promotion will have a rear heat shield included. Worse case scenario for the hearth requirements is an R-Value of .80. Less than what is required for the Heritage.

I believe these measurements and requirements will fit for those that had concerns about R-Value and clearances.

BrowningBAR said:
Front hearth clearances can be reduced to 8â€, and the hearth R-value can be reduced to 0.40, with the installation of an optional 3.5†deep cast iron radiation shield/ash lip

That's pretty interesting. And all orders taking part in the promotion will have a rear heat shield included. Worse case scenario for the hearth requirements is an R-Value of .80. Less than what is required for the Heritage.

I believe these measurements and requirements will fit for those that had concerns about R-Value and clearances.

Not too bad Brown.. My 2 layers of Durock Nexgen with tile would be pretty darn close to meet that R-value (0.78 + tile) and probably just enough R-value not that I am upgrading..

Ray

This is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!! (sorry to shout). The reduced clearance version will DROP IN to the old FV Hearth!!! This means all I have to do is raise the flue 5", shorten the horizontal pipe connecting to the T a couple inches, and I can BURN!!!! My kid said I have not been this excited in a while. I'm gonna go read their site again to make sure I am not seeing what I was HOPING to see!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks WS!!

The good news is that with the bottom shield, my hearth is plently big enough (although it's weird they don't mention anything about not having a bottom shield, maybe it's required?).

The bad news is I definitely don't have the R-value with or without the "ash lip". So, time to plan on some hearth insulation.

I guess the other good news is that I won't need an ash lip.

I posted a thread awhile back asking if this might be too much stove. The concensus was no way. Here's to hoping the beast can be tamed to the point that these crazy R-values / clearances don't mean much.

This is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!!

I'm glad it's working out well for you! I think the drop into the ole fireview spot was high on their agenda.

fire_man said:
This is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!!! (sorry to shout). The reduced clearance version will DROP IN to the old FV Hearth!!! This means all I have to do is raise the flue 5", shorten the horizontal pipe connecting to the T a couple inches, and I can BURN!!!! My kid said I have not been this excited in a while. I'm gonna go read their site again to make sure I am not seeing what I was HOPING to see!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks WS!!

Congrats Tony I am happy for you!

Ray

Gotta love that 7" rear clearance!

Those clearances will work well for the non-fireplace crowd. Footprint looks smaller than the rest of their lineup.

Waulie said:
The good news is that with the bottom shield, my hearth is plently big enough (although it's weird they don't mention anything about not having a bottom shield, maybe it's required?).

The bad news is I definitely don't have the R-value with or without the "ash lip". So, time to plan on some hearth insulation.

I guess the other good news is that I won't need an ash lip.

I posted a thread awhile back asking if this might be too much stove. The concensus was no way. Here's to hoping the beast can be tamed to the point that these crazy R-values / clearances don't mean much.

Your in a cold climate with a stove that can run at a lower temp. You should be fine unless you've neglected to mention you live in a 400 sq ft studio apartment. :lol:

All that bitchin' and moanin' about the clearances not being finalized is finally going to end?

And what do you know! There is no big surprise or change! :cheese:

PHEW, it's over. I hope anyway.

pen

Kind a wierd having an ash lip/radiation shield below a fixed front window. I guess they wanted to maintain that 8" front clearance like the rest of their stoves. Even without it 12" doesn't sound so bad. Too bad they can't get that 7" rear clearance on the other stoves.

pen said:
All that bitchin' and moanin' about the clearances not being finalized is finally going to end?

pen

Great now we gotta find something new to b!tch and moan about!

Ray

I happen to have an old loose face brick laying around from when I built my hearth. I thought they were 3/4" thick.
It turns out the brick is only 0.5" thick.

This means 1/2" Hardibacker (R=0.26) + 0.5" Brick (R=0.1) = R value of 0.36 so I am screwed. :shut:

Double wow! Reducing front clearance from 18" to 12" was fantastic, to 8" is insane. And to do so by adding an ash lip, which I, as a traditionalist, thought was missing from the overall look in the first place. Boy did Woodstock come through! Many thanks, Woodstock, for all your hard work. Now I just have to wait for 3 or more weeks (well worth it, albeit excruciating) :ahhh: When I spoke to them earlier today, they also mentioned that the left door casting might delay things, anyone else heard that? Hopefully no more than the ash lip :roll:

raybonz said:
pen said:

pen

Ray

Just wait til the shipping dates get delayed. :lol:

Unfortunately, no tight corner clearances (like the new Defiant and the Alderleas) that would make it work where I want to put a stove.

fire_man said:

Thanks WS!!

The 5" difference in the horizontal pipe is only if you get the model with legs, otherwise it is the same as the Fireview.

Todd said:
Kind a wierd having an ash lip/radiation shield below a fixed front window. I guess they wanted to maintain that 8" front clearance like the rest of their stoves. Even without it 12" doesn't sound so bad. Too bad they can't get that 7" rear clearance on the other stoves.

Did i not read another thread in which the new stove used a different style of glass than their other stoves? Arent the other stove two panes of glass? This one is single?......damn phone, you with your fancy computers..able to search at ease.

My guess is this could be a reason. Did i read 3/4" thick?! Change them shipping weights a bit.

Good luck to those who may have to do more prep work.

raybonz said:
pen said:

pen

Ray

I've got a list if you've run out!

Your in a cold climate with a stove that can run at a lower temp. You should be fine unless you’ve neglected to mention you live in a 400 sq ft studio apartment.

I might when the wife sees me "fixing" the hearth. :grrr:

Kind a wierd having an ash lip/radiation shield below a fixed front window.

I agree. Since I have to beef up the hearth anyway, I might as well go all the way to 0.80. Anyone know where to get micore?

This means 1/2†Hardibacker (R=0.26) + 0.5†Brick (R=0.1) = R value of 0.36 so I am screwed.

I could tell you what I would do in that scenario, but it likely wouldn't be well received here. :zip:

Just wait til the shipping dates get delayed.

You just shut your filthy mouth, Todd. ;-P

Oddly enough, the clearances work for me since I over-sized the hearth for the Heritage. The R-Value would work, as well. Quick, someone give me $2,400 for a new stove! :)

Den said:
Woodstock will finance. :)

Nope! :lol: Not doing it. I'm not spending money I do not have. I'm already looking around at a few used Defiants, Encores, and Firviews for the Second and third stove replacement. Defiant for the Living Room (Heritage area) and an Encore or Fireview to replace the Vigilant.

Done right, I could get two stoves for about $1,000-1,500, total.

I want to point out that stove clearances are not always measured from an obvious reference point - you have to verify with the manufacturer. There was an earlier post suggesting it should be measured from the glass. For the front of the Progress, its measured from the outside edge of the cast iron trim, but does not include the ash tray.

Attachments

• Progress Hybrid Clearances
    clearance.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 486
Status
Not open for further replies.