Progress Hybrid Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Hey guys, last year was my first year burning. I had wood that was marginal. It was seasoned for two years but had enough moisture in it to dirty up the glass especially when choking the air down for the overnight burn. Cleaning every couple of weeks with warm water and 0000 steel wool I was able to keep it mostly clear. However there is still a left over residue on a small section of the bottom center of the glass. It's hard to see in a picture but I did my best below. It almost looks like I put a sticker on it and tried to peel it off. Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning it off? Steel wool and warm water did not do the trick even with some elbow grease. Can I get a tougher steel wool or will that scratch the glass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soak it with a little oven cleaner ( easy off) for a bit and then try to scrub it. Should do the trick. Otherwise try some of the actual stove glass cleaner. Either way if you get it off get some of the stove glass cleaner and keep it cleaned every week or so. The one I have made by Meecos Red Devil has a silicone like substance that coats the glass as you wipe it clean/clear and makes it a sinch to keep the glass clean!

Did you try wetting a cotton rag and dipping it in some fine ash?

Reactions: laynes69
Did you try wetting a cotton rag and dipping it in some fine ash?

I have not. That seems light duty compared to steel wool? Have you cleaned your PH with this?

I have yet to not be able to clean stove glass with a damp papertowel dipped in ash. It cleans it all off for me

Reactions: Dakotas Dad
Yup, I use newspaper that's dampened with water and dipped in ash, works everytime.

All these are good suggestions for a light duty cleaning. It will not work in your situation though. Your glass is etched, nothing will clean it off. Ash has actually melted into the ceramic glass. It comes from not cleaning the glass often enough. It can also be caused from opening the ashpan door to force wet wood to burn.

All these are good suggestions for a light duty cleaning. It will not work in your situation though. Your glass is etched, nothing will clean it off. Ash has actually melted into the ceramic glass. It comes from not cleaning the glass often enough. It can also be caused from opening the ashpan door to force wet wood to burn.

That's a bummer though it does sound pretty accurate. How often do you guys clean your glass? I thought every few weeks was good enough.

I clean mine every week or two. It is definitely difficult keeping the glass clean on the overnight burns when the wood is not optimal.

That's a bummer though it does sound pretty accurate. How often do you guys clean your glass? I thought every few weeks was good enough.
Ive only cleaned mine once, now that's its been cold its staying pretty clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.