1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Progress on wood stacks

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by higginscl, Jun 20, 2013.

1. higginscl

higginscl Member

Loc:
    Nora Springs, IA
    Here is my progress on my first year of splitting and stacking wood (for more than just the fireplace).

2013-06-07 16.12.42.jpg 2013-06-07 16.12.49.jpg View attachment 104907 2013-06-07 16.14.19.jpg

The third one is what i have left to c/s/s i just cant seem to find the time after we had 85 mph winds come through last wednsday and 5 inches of rain in 45 min. I am just now starting to get ahead on getting the 2 feet of water out of our basement.:mad:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. higginscl

higginscl Member

Loc:
    Nora Springs, IA
    Sorry heres the pic of whats left.
    2013-06-07 16.13.10.jpg
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Nice work and good looking stacks!
    higginscl likes this.
  4. Get Wood

Get Wood Member

Loc:
    Flinton Ontario

Looking good, I just started this year to. You have more split than I do but I won't be burning for another couple years.
    Hope to get a jump on it next year.
    higginscl likes this.
  5. Trilifter7

Trilifter7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Nice work so far! Get those ends boxed in and you could get more on each stack
    Nixon likes this.
  6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Lookin' good! :cool: Looks like four or five cords? That's gonna be a tall one, with two pallets on the end. _g
    I think I see three types of wood in the to-do pile? Maybe some kind of Ash on the left, Maple with the dark centers, and ?? Just stabbing in the dark here....
  7. higginscl

higginscl Member

Loc:
    Nora Springs, IA
    Thanks! I plan on boxing the ends here soon I started on a couple of them with some cursed T-posts just cause thats what i had.

I was wondering on the one on the left if it was ash, and the one on the right there is more cotton wood than you can shake a stick at. I dont think ill stack the one with the pallet on end that tall i just put it there to get it out of the way. I think it would fall over. !!! Also im trying to separate the different species of wood just cause my OCD makes me. ;)

On a side note the stuff stacked on top of the maple had a wierd red/pink stain in the middle that ran through the middle of the tree?
    Trilifter7 likes this.
  8. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Oh, no, Boxelder! Can't hit a home run every time. What the heck, it'll burn. >>
  9. higginscl

higginscl Member

Loc:
    Nora Springs, IA
    Is that a bad thing? It split great and i have a bunch of it. I'll burn it for sure and it seems like it dries fast so maybe I can burn it this year?
  10. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    top job... Looks like you've got some nice tools to help with the piles too.
  11. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Box elder isn't terrible......better than cottonwood. It will do you just fine, but not for a long overnight burn.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You will do fine. Box elder is in the maple family but more in the soft maple family. It burns well but not for long periods of time. We've burned a good deal of it from time to time and would not hesitate to burn more of it.
  13. Trilifter7

Trilifter7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Yep, it will be good shoulder season wood. I've got 2 cords of it I plan to burn this winter. Dries faster than anything I've had yet.
  14. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice, neat, well organized stacks.
    You'll be a few years ahead in no time at this rate :)
    Keep it coming .