Propane torch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I should clarify - I use the torch like a lighter...to get the kindling/newspaper going. It's not like I set there for 20 minutes waiting for a 10" diameter oak log to light off. I always end up burning my thumb with a cigarette lighter and matches stink up the house.

cmonSTART said:
Ok, admit it. Who's ever used a propane torch to start their fire?

:raises hand:

Doesn't everybody? Spending a couple bucks on a 1 lb cylinder each winter is a whole lot cheaper and faster than spending money on strike-anywhere matches, starter sticks, or the disposable butane wussy lighters ;)

cmonSTART said:

tried it but, when you turn the bottle upside down the flame keeps going out!

smokinj said:
cmonSTART said:

tried it but, when you turn the bottle upside down the flame keeps going out!

You need one of the better ones with the all position valve that lets you use it upside down. Well worth the extra few $$$. Even better are the Turbo Torch or Swirl flame models and of course Piezo push button ignition. I used the older crappy cheap models for years always searching for the striker or a match. They are a lot more expensive but well worth it. A bottle lasts me more than a season lighting the pellet stove. No starter brikettes, alcohol, oil or any other fancy mixture. No fuss no muss just grab it hit the button and fire it up. Personally, I got enough of that "rub 2 Boyscouts together" stuff in the army so why bother with the hassle unless necessity dictates. Those type torches are a lot handier in the shop as well. Gotta keep it simple stupid.............

Excellent point on heating up the chimney! A smoke filled surprise awaits a torch user in a cold stove! Never the less, it is less than green and certainly more costly, than using other "traditional" methods.

At least no one has yet suggested using stale gasoline!

When we first arrive at the cabin in winter the house most often is around 10*. I use the torch to preheat the chimney and never use newspaper, it smokes to much. I shoot the torch up the chimney to start the draft, then get a fire-starter lit under some super dry kindling. One time it was so cold in the cabin that the furnace motor would not turn, the grease was thick like peanut butter. When the inside and outside temperatures are below freezing, you have zero draft. Besides my wife is standing behind me, saying get that stove ripping, I am freezing. So time is of the essence in getting a roaring fire. I hate seeing my breath inside the house.

That was great! Joe definately knows. Gotta like the schnazzy music too! :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.