Propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biomass burner

Dec 24, 2014
Ohio
Im using my furnace till the real cold shows up toped off propane at 1.37 a gal so not sure my savings would be much is any

I don't use propane but oil is definitely cheaper than pellets right now. However, I already have 2 season's worth of pellets stacked up downstairs.

Im using my furnace till the real cold shows up toped off propane at 1.37 a gal so not sure my savings would be much is any
Lucky you. I got propane delivered a couple of weeks ago at $3.22/gallon. Another forum member that lives not to far from me, and uses a different supply company paid $2.89/gal.

I summer filled my LP tank for .98 a gal. Winter price is around 1.15 a gal. With BBS pellets around 299 a ton, I won't be burning many pellets this year.

Propane dealers like to play games with pricing, especially when you rent their tank and are locked in with them. I keep reading about propane prices anywhere from $.98 to over $3.00 a gallon.

I went to my supplier this week to have them fill my 3 small tanks @ $1.12 a gallon and while there, just for S&Gs, I asked what their delivered price would be for 200 gallons. I was quoted $2.20 a gallon so I said that I was just curious because now that I have a pellet stove I was going to quit using them and have them come get their tank when I used up the rest of the propane in it. That's when the games began. Another employee, who overheard our conversation, came out of his office and said they would do $1.80 a gallon if I ordered this week because they weren't very busy yet. I explained to him that I only use about 10 to 15 gallons a year for cooking and, to rent ($52.00/year) their 250 gallon tank is overkill. So now he offers to bring a 125 gallon tank, waive the rental fee and fill it for $1.50 a gallon. I countered with the $1.12 carry in price along with 2 years free tank rental... that was the end of the game, he walked away. It's no wonder their supply of old tanks keeps growing every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.