running cost of a lopi berkshire propane gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steveh2112

Jan 14, 2024
ithaca ny
hi, i was browsing for a used wood stove on FB marketplace when i came across an almost new lopi berkshire propane gas stove for $3000 (can probably get for $200)

i'm in upstate NY with an older 1000sqft house however i only use half of the house in the winter

how much propane will this get though a month in mid winter if i'm home all day and hate cold. also, how would you compare to running cost of a wood stove if i had to buy all the wood?

thanks

This stove is rated at 31k btu per hour. Propane has about 92k btu per gallon. You will burn about 1gallon of LP for every three hours of burning time, when the stove is burning on high. There is no way to determine the cost by month, until you have actually used it for a month, & even then, only if you ran it on high for that month.

ok thanks, so about a 1/3 of a gallon/hr on full and propane is around $330/gallon near me so about $1/hr on full. if i can get by with half power maybe $12/day.

i googled wood stove usage and is seems people usually get though about a face cord of wood every 1 - 2 weeks? (or course depends on many factors). so a face cord is $70 near me so $35-$70 a month for wood vs. maybe $400 for propane, looks like wood is the big winner.

yes i know there is massive wiggle room in this math but still, looks like wood is going to be cheaper?