proper way to apply stove gasket cement to door and around glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewatcher

Nov 10, 2006
New Jersey
when applying stove gasket cement to attach the gaskets, is there any prep work that I want to do first?

How long does it take to really dry?

What if I get the cement on the window? Does it come off?

I have the Osburn Bay window 2200 insert. One of the gaskets coming off is the corner where the 2 bay window glass partitions meet. Do i just try stuffing it back in? Or use glue? More and more of this gasket piece keeps coming out...

firewatcher said:
when applying stove gasket cement to attach the gaskets, is there any prep work that I want to do first?

Clean out the gasket channel of any old cement.... a screwdriver usually does the trick

How long does it take to really dry?

It cures pretty quickly, but I wouldn't light a fire right away.... after a few hours it should be pretty hard

What if I get the cement on the window? Does it come off?

soap and water as soon as you can - it will come right off

I have the Osburn Bay window 2200 insert. One of the gaskets coming off is the corner where the 2 bay window glass partitions meet. Do i just try stuffing it back in? Or use glue? More and more of this gasket piece keeps coming out...

Replace the whole gasket, otherwise you will be dealing with it all season. Start with the right gasket and use gasket cement.

a small wire brush in the channel will do the best job of cleaning the old stuff out and starting fresh. wipe or vacuum out whats left after brushing before running the new bead of gasket cement in the channel. the better the job you do now the longer the next one will last.

make sure you get the right size gasket. if its not in the manual call the company and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.