Protected Surface - Sheet Metal w/ Brick Veneer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How do modern double/triple pain windows handle being this close to high heat? I imagine the window will fail much sooner than normal? What type of window is it? Wood, Vinyl, fiberglass, etc?
There was some discussion on this several years ago. Personally, I don't know, but I do feel better with the T6 next to our windows than the strongly radiant Castine. Are windows designed differently for areas like Phoenix, AZ?

There was some discussion on this several years ago. Personally, I don't know, but I do feel better with the T6 next to our windows than the strongly radiant Castine. Are windows designed differently for areas like Phoenix, AZ?

Yes, they would have tints/different treatments to block incoming heat/UV rays. I'm just thinking of a window frame and glass next to a 500degree radiant stove and the expansion and contraction of heat cycles causing a premature failure of the seals.

The windows are Andersen 400. They are wood but wrapped in fiberglass. I asked the Andersen rep about the heat from the woodstove and they said it should be fine. I will be about 16" from the stove to window trim

Hey @begreen ,

So I am going to order the veneer bricks for this project. I am wondering how much weight the 1/2" durock on spacers can support?

Ideally I would love to use these bricks which vary from 7/8" to 1 1/4" thick

These are obviously going to be about 2x as heavy as the standard 1/2" thick veneer brick.

Does anyone know if this will be too much weight on the durock? I need 3 boxes of flats and that will be ~350lbs. I plan to use durock strips as spacers and have them mounted on every stud behind my stove (obviously not putting any spacers/screws directly being the stove itself)

Thanks

Last edited: