PS50 Not Igniting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wndsrf

Jan 7, 2013
Westport, MA
One night my Heatilator PS50 is working normally, the next night, it's not. I gave it a thorough cleaning, behind baffle plates and all. Upon attempted restarts, the induction fan comes on, the auger works normally delivering pellets to the burn pot, but the igniter underneath is not coming on. Am I missing something simple? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your igniter died.

yep. i've had two igniters die since we got the stove.
this year i bought the lower wattage one.
i believe it's 300 watts and the stock one is 380.
this one works perfectly well.
i have heard the higher wattage one is for multi fuel usage.
which is freaking weird since the PS50 is not a multi fuel stove.

meanwhile, you can start your stove with a torch.
chuck a good fistfull of pellets in, turn on t-stat to start combustion motor, and apply torch till pellets are sufficiently lit. shut door and let it run as normal.
when the last one burnt out, i just lit it this way the remainder of the season and put the new one in when i did summer/shut down maintenance.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Quadra-Style-Igniter-Element/dp/B00H57G276
  • from the amazon questions page -
Question:
What is different about the "new igniter"?
Answer:
This ignitor is for the Mt Vernon AE only and it is 300w instead of 380w. It is intended to last longer.
By Clearview Fireplace & Patio on March 10, 2015
See more answers (1)
    votes
Question:
how long are the wires on this igniter
Answer:
There are about 18 inches. There is plenty of length to connect the igniter.
By Geri L. on March 4, 2015

Last edited:
Interesting replies, thank you. Are the igniters easy to find and replace? Would most pellet dealers sell them or is it a special order?

i added the amazon info to my prior post.
the igniter comes out by loosening a wingnut.
the path of the wire has it go over a little hangar in the ash drawer compartment.
just look how it is when you remove it and put the new one in the exact same way.
the wires pass through a small hole along with the thermocouple wires.
it's a little snug, but just gently work one spade clip through at a time.
the connection is made in the back compartment of the stove.
of course, be sure the stove is unplugged when doing any work inside it.

Sorry for all the questions, but I VERY much appreciate the help. Just to double-check, in the Q&A on the Amazon part you listed, it says it's for Mt. Vernon AE only. This will work with the PS50?

yes. that's the one i got when i got sick of mine burning out every season.
(i'm in the 5th season with my PS50)

it's 300 watts versus 380 watts for the original.
why they even have the 380watt unit in the PS50 is a mystery to me.
from what i've been told, the extra wattage is for lighting other fuels like corn.
but the ps50 is not a mutli fuel stove.

the 300watt unit lights my stove promptly and is in absolutely no way inadequate.
hopefully it will last several seasons.
the lower wattage should allow this to happen.

it sounds like you have positively determined your igniter is not coming on.
so with everything else working properly, it is almost certainly the issue.

the key thing are the 18" leads on the replacement. that is definitely what the ps50 requires for them to reach the connectors.
and that one i listed does have those leads, and is the lower wattage.
just like i now have in my stove.

here is the thread where i got my same question answered last year.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/igniter-for-mt-vernon-e2.139866/#post-1939426

Last edited:
Hey, thanks again for all the information and insight. I'll try to find the part locally or if not order through Amazon. Good to know I can light it up and get some heat in the meantime. Happy Thanksgiving!

there is a long thread here with people's prefered non igniter lighting methods.
i just use a little propane torch.
you'll get the feel for it. how lit does it need to be etc...

i would leave the door open a little while after the flame was self sustaining. just to let it set deeper before shutting the door. and i would run on high at first. just to get max air and heat to get the stove dropping pellets on it's own and not have to try again.
i definitely used more than the stove itself would have initially have dropped.
but don't go too crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.