Pulled pork.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
I got some of the hung Pignut that, thanks to you guys, I was able to get down several weeks ago.
Pretty good day for woodworking, not beastly hot or humid. Plenty of sweatin' goin' on, nonetheless. Here at the house the Black Flies were out in force, but they don't bite me much, they just buzz around my head. This year there are a lot of them around, for some reason. Same with the little black ants that have invaded our kitchen. About a half-mile from the house, where the Pignut is, just a couple of mosquitos. But we did get into some deer ticks. Luckily we saw them crawling up our arms, picked them off, and did a thorough check when we got done. I think we're clean.
I thought maybe I would get dry wood off some of the upper branches, they felt light, but the MC was still in the low to mid-twenties. Maybe they are a little punked and that's why they felt light, we'll see...

Here's the stack I bucked and brought up today, couple of trailer loads, three rows deep in this stack.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/003-2.jpg
Here's what is still down there, about 25' of 21" dbh trunk. There are also several 6-8" limbs that I'll get. Please don't make fun of my hack job on the short section. :lol: First cut on the leaner plugged in the ground and the tractor couldn't pull it, so I had to cut it again.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/001-4.jpg
This is the rotted trunk base. The core is pretty solid. Didn't look today, but if I remember right the trunk looked pretty good toward the bottom. Not sure why the tree rotted at the bottom like that...
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/Hearth/002-2.jpg

Where are pictures of the pulled pork? I regularly make it on my Big Green Egg....18 hours at 225 degrees and it just falls apart. Put a big mound of it on a bun, add coleslaw and BBQ sauce, and man, that is a sammich! Question: vinegar or tomato based sauce? Oh, by the way, nice score on the wood.

whats pulled pork have to do with it? Are you using the wood for smoking ?

woodsmaster said:
I "pulled" the "Pig"nut out of the woods. This play on words is a stretch, I know. :cheese:

Your humor wasn't lost on me Woody. Not sure what that says about my sense of humor though.

I make it on my BGE as well, same amount of time. I smoke it with a few nice chunks off applewood (seasoned) from the bush. Can't make up my mind on vinegar or BBQ. Made an 18 lb shoulder last week.

;-)
Woody Stover said:
woodsmaster said:
I "pulled" the "Pig"nut out of the woods. This play on words is a stretch, I know. :cheese:

maybe but sounds more like a pig in a poke ;-) And thats awesome wood for the pork,lol

I got very excited to see a "pulled pork" thread....
Very clever indeed....and I was not disappointed that there was not a pulled pork recipe....
the wood pics are pretty sweet...
I am hangin around you guys too much...when I see something on the news about "trees down from the storm"....I get excited and ask my husband if he knows where that location is...to go get that wood damit...its like a disease... :lol:

richg said:
Where are pictures of the pulled pork? I regularly make it on my Big Green Egg....18 hours at 225 degrees and it just falls apart. Put a big mound of it on a bun, add coleslaw and BBQ sauce, and man, that is a sammich! Question: vinegar or tomato based sauce? Oh, by the way, nice score on the wood.

Don't want to High jack this thread but I was curious how you like your Big Green Egg? I have been looking at them and I'm pretty sure when my grill finally finishes falling apart I will buy one but man they are expensive and I don't know anyone who can give a review of how they like it.

Woody, that is some good firewood. Good for you for getting it. Dang, it still makes me sweat just the thought of you fellas cutting that wood at this time of the year.

First seen the topic late last night,was hungry then lol.Knew immediately it was a clever wordplay.

Great looking porkers there Woody. :lol: Superb fuel for those bitter cold winter nights.Never burned any of it myself,its similar to Shagbark,Shellbark & other Hickories what I've heard though. Among the best for a smoker too. :coolsmile:

certified106 said:
richg said:

Don't want to High jack this thread but I was curious how you like your Big Green Egg? I have been looking at them and I'm pretty sure when my grill finally finishes falling apart I will buy one but man they are expensive and I don't know anyone who can give a review of how they like it.

I don't perceive hijacking. The original poster gave the thread a title of "Pulled Pork"......so, in my opinion, that opens the door for discussions about BBQ ;-) To keep it short and sweet, my Big Green Egg has become as indispensable as a microwave. My analogy would be, take your favorite band/music/singer, and listening to your favorite album on CD. That is cooking with propane. Now, imagine you have front-row seats for their concert and you got there three hours early to tailgate. That is cooking with the Big Green Egg.

Backwoods Savage said:
Woody, that is some good firewood. Good for you for getting it. Dang, it still makes me sweat just the thought of you fellas cutting that wood at this time of the year.
I'm not going back down there today to wrestle and buck the remaining log. I've got an Ash here that I bucked the other day; Maybe I'll pick that up. Or I could go to SIL's. She's putting up one of those prefab metal roofs to cover her wood. I'll supervise the proceedings, not do any actual work. :lol: I'll be in the shade either way, thankfully.
Then it's time to take cover for the next couple of days. I really need to think about getting some kind of AC unit in here for this hot stuff...

richg said:
I don't perceive hijacking. The original poster gave the thread a title of "Pulled Pork"......so, in my opinion, that opens the door for discussions about BBQ ;-)
:lol: Have at it, but it's getting a little hot to be thinking about cooking/eating meat. I think I'm going to invent some type of meat popsicle for this weather.

This is really not a hijacked thread. I always throw a bit of wood (usually apple) in my BGE. It is fantastic, low and slow with some smoke and you have great ribs, pulled pork, etc. I really enjoy mine, the wife is not crazy about too much smoke so I have to use the propane now and again, but I will have and use the BGE every chance I get!

[quote author="Woody Stover, nice job on the leaner and when you do the pulled pork we expect a pic! :coolgrin:

gibir

Here you are, one photo with the rub, second one on the BGE and the third photo is after 19 hours of low and slow cooking - 18 lb to start with, I'm really hungry right now. For reference, the wine bottle in the photo is a 1.5 litre bottle.

Who's coming for supper?

Attachments

• IMG_1821.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 356
Hmmm, that looks like it might be worth a little road trip... :coolsmile:

Glenn M said:
Here you are, one photo with the rub, second one on the BGE and the third photo is after 19 hours of low and slow cooking - 18 lb to start with, I'm really hungry right now. For reference, the wine bottle in the photo is a 1.5 litre bottle.

Who's coming for supper?

How far from Cornwall?

gibir

Glenn M said:

Who's coming for supper?

Where is the $600 table that it sits in? I was over at a friends house and he was showing me his green egg. He told me that he had to have the table for it and that cost him another $600. He sure cooked up some good ribs but I don't think that table added much to the tast. He's a good guy and it's his money, I just thought it was a bit over the top for a grill. I'm sure he thought I spent too much on my chainsaw so to each his own.

What a coincidence. The wife slow cooked the pork today and I just sliced and dressed the slaw. Ya gotta love it. We just go with Sweet Baby Rays sauce though and let it soak it up.

Back on topic, that looks like a heap of poison oak if I'm not mistaken so I couldnt get near it and still sleep for a week. I just cant get behind the idea of cuttin and splittin in the hot months. We have all winter when there's no grass to be tended to.

Loco Gringo said:
that looks like a heap of poison oak I just cant get behind the idea of cuttin and splittin in the hot months
There's a little poison ivy there, but not very thick or tall. I was still able to short-sleeve it. Once I get ahead on a wood supply for four people, I'll have the luxury of processing it when it's nice and cool. Until then, I'll have my sweaty nose to the grindstone. :lol:

certified106 said:
richg said:

the CostCo in our area is selling a Kamado egg for around $500. I love my medium Big Green Egg (used Webbers for 30 years before it). But if I could buy this one instead for $500 I would do it in a second.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=R_scTszBG6T00gHwovnPBw&ved=0CIIBEPMCMAQ#

Btw, I made my own table for about $100 in tile - from old decking red wood.

Back to wood. Nice score!!!

Attachments

• BigGreenEggTableEntry.1.compressed.jpg
    BigGreenEggTableEntry.1.compressed.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.