Pulled the Trigger on the MS-361

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandor

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2005
Deltaville,VA
Well, I did it, and it hurt (financially)

The saw was on sale for $529, which included a case, a six pack of oil, and a jug of bar oil

Got home and took it for a quick test drive, before the real work begins next month.

The saw I got has the 20" bar, which I wanted. I can say this, that bar length is not even challenging the saw with the new chisel chain. The saw absolutely screams without a hint of bog through Red Oak. Its just wood chips and (low) noise. The manual says do not expect full power until you burnt 5-15 tanks of full.

Handling the saw was natural,well balanced and not intimidating. LETS FACE IT, many posters, like myself, may be intimidated by a "Pro Saw". I honestly feel that this saw is NO MORE dangerous than a Poulan Wild Thang with a 14 inch bar. To the Pro's out there, I'm sure this thing is somewhat of a toy.

I wanted to shop this saw against a Husky 372XP, but no dealers are even close to me.... no Dolmar dealers either. I think Lowes scares them away.

I think I will sell my (very, very trusty) 025 and pick up a Ms-260, to round out the collection and be done with it. I'll keep the Echo CS-346 for delicate limbing.

I bought my 025 because I did not want to fork out the extra 100 bucks for the 026 about 7 years ago. I cannot tell you what I did with that extra 100 I saved, but the 025 is still with me. Get my point?

I will do a full report once I get a dozen or so hours on the saw.

congrats....ive been poking around a full chainsaw revamp....i figure if i sell my 3(antiquy homelite, 3.2 craftsman, and a mcculloch timber bear i could maybe get a down payment on a 361 or 440....i would keep the husky 45 for the little stuff, although i think id find myself always using the big one...

again congratulation...be careful with that chisel chain...its a big difference in kick back.

Skip the 260 - they're pricey as can be for what you get and you'll find yourself running the 361 most of the time anyway, since it is so light and easy to use. I'd either keep the 025 because you own it already and it works great, or sell it and buy a 16" bar on the 361 for the smaller stuff.

I agree with skipping 260, too much money for what you get. The 025 has proven itself to you and most importantly it is paid for. But if it must be replaced with something, I would mail order the Dolmar 5100.

Status
Not open for further replies.