Pulling Quotes into Replies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
colorado
I know this isn't about wood burning but I know quoting someones whole reply is overkill and have been around long enough to see partial quotes appearing in responses. Sometimes there are even more than one quote within the same response.

I asked this before and my query ended up in the Ash Can and I never did get a response as to how do I learn how to do the quote thing.

I ask again and hope I get a response before this gets trashed. :cheese:

I realize as a topic mine doesn't carry the punch that others in the 'Can' do. The competition is tough in there. :ahhh:

DEAR PREPLEXED;
HERE IS A RESPONSE TO YOUR POST FROM: NEARLY AS PERPLEXED & certainly more confused. (my new handle,just for this one reply) %-P

so this probably is not going to be all that helpfull. Kinda like the deaf leading the blind.

instead of pushing the post button, you push the quote button & you get a screen that has the original post on it that you want to reply to. There is a way to highlite & select just the sentance or paragraph that is most revalant to your reply & that is by left mouse click and drag curser over the sentance you want to highlite & save. alternatly, you could delete
all the sentances in the quote except the one your reply is about , but you loose the blue background. I dont know why. there are guys here that do it way better than me, but I dont know their secret computer ways.

BTW, i nearly forgot to tell you that you have to push the quote button under the specific post that you want to reply to, not the reply button of the last post on the thread like you usally do to make just a general reply.

Not much help but sorry,best i can do. At least i point you in the general direction.

IDEA: PM (personal message) the webmaster (craig issod)
he the guy wearing a white shirt, black hat & tie & a cream colored fender stratocaster electric guitar. avatar (picture on upper left hand coner of post)
You will find one of his posts at the yellow sticky post entitled:
new hearth.com---podcasts(audio)stories---vermont castings history---&more;--- and push on the pm button. this will give you a screen like a post reply but it only goes to craigs WEBMASTER'S inbox & he checks it every day so you are sure to get a reply in one days time.

Learning not only the ways of the stove but also the ways of the stove forum.

Can you understand the next post below mine?? I can't.

Just bracket the text you want to quote with [ quote ] and [ /quote ] but omit the spaces between the brackets and the "quote" and "/quote." There is also a little quote button in the "Post a New Reply" area which simply inserts the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags.

perplexed said:
I know this isn't about wood burning but I know quoting someones whole reply is overkill and have been around long enough to see partial quotes appearing in responses.
Sometimes there are even more than one quote within the same response.['quote]

I asked this before and my query ended up in the Ash Can and I never did get a response as to how do I learn how to do the quote thing.

I ask again and hope I get a response before this gets trashed. :cheese:

I realize as a topic mine doesn't carry the punch that others in the 'Can' do. The competition is tough in there. :ahhh:

OH MY GOD, DID I EVER MESS THAT UP. I picked a sentance in your post and in front of the sentance i type [qoute] then at the end of the sentance , I type
& you see what i got.
well , we pointed in the right direction & barking up the right tree, at least. at this point what can i say but pratice makes perfect & try not to die laughing at me.

Thanks for bringing that question up Perplexed. I thought that I was the only one out of touch with the finer points of the forum. Course I still can't do photos even after reading all of the tips. Maybe it's just my AOL. But at least this will be one small step.

colebrookman said:
Thanks for bringing that question up Perplexed.
I thought that I was the only one out of touch with the finer points of the forum. Course I still can't do photos even after reading all of the tips. Maybe it's just my AOL. But at least this will be one small step.

I am praticing trying to figure out this quote thing. I pick your first sentance to surround with the qoute---/ quote thingie & the [].

It seems that when I surround your first sentance with

and then end your first sentance with

what i get is the whole post quoted, with the first sentance quoted & highlighted in its own box.

eernest4 said:
colebrookman said:
I thought that I was the only one out of touch with the finer points of the forum. Course I still can't do photos even after reading all of the tips. Maybe it's just my AOL. But at least this will be one small step.

I am praticing trying to figure out this quote thing. I pick your first sentance to surround with the qoute---/ quote thingie & the [].

what i get is the whole post quoted, with the first sentance quoted & highlighted in its own box.
Nobody likes a show off ;-)

that quote business is the wierdest thing I ever see, except for the time the ailiens took me aboard .....................; nope --not susposed to take about that!
It never happened. No such critters.
(They tell the persident what to do so I better line up & fly right.)

colebrookman said:
eernest4 said:
colebrookman said:

who is showing off ??? i am floundering like a man in over his head at the deep end & the water is splaching past my open fingers while i drown. I can't seem to get it right,just one mess after the other mess. the only thing im showing off is my ignorance ,while i try to learn to get it right. The learn by fubar & try to analize the results & then try something similar but different to see wht new mess it creates.

I give up ,I have no idea what I an doing with those [qute] -----[/qte] things. I leave some letters out so it wont do something wierd again.

welcome to my clown show!

Some people make it look easy and then there is the rest of us. :)

eernest4 said:
that quote business is the wierdest thing I ever see, (except for the time the ailiens took me aboard .....................; nope --not susposed to take about that! )
It never happened. No such critters.
(They tell the persident what to do so I better line up & fly right.)
I am trying to get it right myself. Just bracketed the except for the time the aliens took me aboard......nope--not supposed to talk about that..

Lets see if it works?/ By the way, did you see pook on board? :lol:

Didn`t work the bracketing, got your whole quotation. Damn!! I give up-----

[quote author="sonnyinbc" date="1204263144"]Didn`t work the bracketing, got your whole quotation. Damn!! I give up-----[/quote
If at first you don't succeed.....have your wife do it.

therm said:
[Just bracket the text you want to quote with [ quote ] and [ /quote ] but omit the spaces between the brackets and the "quote" and "/quote." There is also a little quote button in the "Post a New Reply" area which simply inserts the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags.
]

Here goes my try.

I am the wife. :-S

I ask my husband. :cheese:

Maybe he can figure this out.

Hey - I think the aliens are trying to communicate with us here.

Time to hunt down the chief. :ahhh:

eernest4 said:
colebrookman said:
eernest4 said:
colebrookman said:

[who is showing off ??? i am floundering like a man in over his head at the deep end & the water is splaching past my open fingers while i drown. I can't seem to get it right,just one mess after the other mess. the only thing im showing off is my ignorance ,while i try to learn to get it right. The learn by fubar & try to analize the results & then try something similar but different to see wht new mess it creates].

I think what you did with all of those quotes is quite impressive. :lol:

I think I kind of got it now to play around with it for awhile.

Better get back to the topic of wood or else we will get 'canned'.

It's kind of scarey to think that we all burn wood here and could really cause some serious damage if our computer skills reflect our abilities in other areas. :snake:

I have really enjoyed all of your responses and once again I'm glad to know that I don't stand alone in my ignorance.

Okay, I've got how to do a simple quote BUT why did it bring down all of the other quotes??

That is what I am trying to avoid.

My goal is to keep it simple.

In the above response I was trying to only quote the bottom segment of eernest's reply. It did that but brought down everything he quoted.

Success is measured in small steps.

:eek:hh:

Perplexed, first select the text you want to quote and copy it into the clipboard - use Ctrl C on a Windows PC to do this. Then press POST REPLY (not QUOTE); this gets you to the "Post a New Reply" page. Then press the small "quote" button from the row of buttons above the text window; this inserts the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags. Finally, position the insertion cursor between the two tags, i.e. after the first "]" and before the second "[" and paste the text to be quoted via Ctrl V.

For example,

[ quote ]Success is measured in small steps.[ /quote ]

When the spaces are removed, this will be rendered as

Sometimes it is more convenient to open a second browser tab or window to enter your reply. Then you can refer to the original thread in one window and compose your reply in another. But first things first.

perplexed said:
eernest4 said:
colebrookman said:
eernest4 said:
colebrookman said:

[who is showing off ??? i am floundering like a man in over his head at the deep end & the water is splaching past my open fingers while i drown. I can't seem to get it right,just one mess after the other mess. the only thing im showing off is my ignorance ,while i try to learn to get it right. The learn by fubar & try to analize the results & then try something similar but different to see wht new mess it creates].
I think what you did with all of those quotes is quite impressive. :lol:

I think I kind of got it now to play around with it for awhile.

Better get back to the topic of wood or else we will get 'canned'.

It's kind of scarey to think that we all burn wood here and could really cause some serious damage if our computer skills reflect our abilities in other areas. :snake:

I have really enjoyed all of your responses and once again I'm glad to know that I don't stand alone in my ignorance.

All i can say is thank god i wasn't drinking coffee when i read that or i would have drowned for real ROTFLMFAO %-P

perplexed said:
Okay, I've got how to do a simple quote BUT why did it bring down all of the other quotes??

That is what I am trying to avoid.

My goal is to keep it simple.

In the above response I was trying to only quote the bottom segment of eernest's reply. It did that but brought down everything he quoted.

:eek:hh:

Well, it's wasy quoting one post, as you just hit the quote button. Then you can remove any text you see between the
Code:
[quote author ="me or you"date="1204273458"] 
text to be quoted in here
[/quote]

You can edit out text from between the quote tags - which is a good idea!

Personally, I don't attempt to do too much multiple quoting, but if you do you would have to make certain that each separate one had both opening and closing quote tags. Best thing to do is remove all the quotes except an opening and closing.....

Have to leave for plane now, so cannot help more!

Thanks for the info Craig. Now if we could do 'Pictures for Dummies' my self confidence and overall sense of well being on the forum would be increased exponentially. :-S

perplexed said:

Perplexed,
To turn a multi-quote into a single quote.
1) Press the "Quote"/Reply button.
2) That will generate a copy of the post you are replying to and it will have quotation brackets that look like this: [guote author="perplexed"date="1204273458"]... ... ... [/guote]. The first part is at the very beginning of the post. The second part is at the very end.
3) Between the quotation bracketing you will see additional quotation brackets for the posts of anyone that this poster quoted.
4) Delete everything in between the main quotation brackets that you do not want, while keeping the beginning and end of the main quotation bracket. E.g.: [guote author="perplexed"date="1204273458"]... ... ... [/guote]
5) It is important to keep the format of the first and second half of the bracketing from the primary post intact. For instance, you don't want to inadvertently drop the "[" in "[/guote] at the very end. One way to help prevent this is to use the space button to create a nice margin for error before highlighting and deleting the text in front of "[", or by the same token in back of "]".
6) When you get good at this you can probably carve out some quotations within the targeted post while leaving others.
7) Once the post looks the way you want it simply hit the "Submit Post" button.

To multi-quote without the onion layer effect.
1) Do simple quotes one at a time and copy/paste them into a word processing document (e.g.: MS Word or Apple "Pages"). Of course you can also copy/paste a pared down multi-quote.
2) I don't know if this is stating the obvious or not but aside from hitting the "Quote"/reply button this involves hitting the return button to get back to the thread.
3) Once they are in your Word or Pages document you can trim the quotes down some more with elipses (...) but it is harder to add anything back in so generally it's best to start with the whole quotation or a generous section of the part you want to use. Otherwise you may have to scrap that quotation and re-do it.
4) If everything goes smoothly you'll have something that looks like this:
[guote author="poster 1"date="1204273451"]... ... ... [/guote]
[guote author="poster 2"date="1204273452"]... ... ... [/guote]
[guote author="poster 3"date="1204273453"]... ... ... [/guote]
5) You then have the option of inserting your replies so it is easier for the next reader to follow.
[guote author="poster 1"date="1204273451"]... ... ... [/guote]
I think blah, blah, blah
[guote author="poster 2"date="1204273452"]... ... ... [/guote]
I agree blah, blah, blah
[guote author="poster 3"date="1204273453"]... ... ... [/guote]
I would suggest blah, blah, blah
6) You then "Select All" and copy or manually highlight and copy the whole Word or Pages document you have created.
7) Return to the thread and hit Reply. Or if you have a "Quote"/reply field still open simply delete any remaining text and use it as a Reply.
8) Paste your document containing your copied Quotes and your response(s) into the blank reply field.
9) Hit the "Submit Post" button.

I hope I haven't confused you any more.
~Cath

Okay- Here I go again . If I do not get this after it has been spelled out so clearly for me I officially give up. Just too much for my brain to get! :p [[ quote ]Success is measured in small steps. [/quote]

When the spaces are removed, this will be rendered as

Well I got partially there so maybe I'll keep trying but it will have to be later because my husband is making faces at me because this is his computer and his computer time and his patience is running thin. :mad:

He is the one who figured out how to do the picture thing and it took him over an hour and he didn't even follow the directions. He just did it somehow......People like him really make me feel DUMB. :coolgrin:

When composing a post, you can also use the Preview Post button to test out how your post will look. You can experiment with quoting and any other formatting that way without actually submitting the post. You can do this as many times as you like, and you can even cancel out and not submit your post. To cancel just close the window or use the back button to go back to the original thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.