pump install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet

Nov 11, 2008
Canada
I am thinking about installing a pump as a backup to the one I have now just in case I have a pump fail or power outage . Is it a good or bad idea ? If it is good idea what would be the best way to plumb it in , parallel or series with the one there now ?

Unless you need instantaneous backup, I would suggest installing webstone flanges that have integral isolation valves and keep the spare pump in the box on the shelf. If you did need to install it as an instant spare I would use the same flanges and leave the valve turned off.

What kind of pump did you have in mind that would work if there was a power outage? One thats running on batteries?

I think Peakbagger has a good idea about using isolation flanges and keeping a spare.

Regardless of how you go, you would want to hook up in parallel not series.

Clarkbug said:
What kind of pump did you have in mind that would work if there was a power outage? One thats running on batteries?

I think Peakbagger has a good idea about using isolation flanges and keeping a spare.

Regardless of how you go, you would want to hook up in parallel not series.
I was thinking of using a generator or something like that to run it .

Backup power is a good idea, not just for the circulator. Others have recommended taking an older computer UPS that needs a battery, remove the old battery, wire a 12V deep cycle battery (RV, electric boat motor, etc) as the NEW battery, and use that to run the boiler controls and the circulator. That way you will have a working boiler when the power is out for at least a burn cycle. My boiler and circulator (control, blower fan, and circulator) take less than 500 watts when running. I have a generator for now which works, and a project shelf of old UPS boxes waiting for me to get around to making one myself.

If you're going to add a backup circulator in parallel I think you will need to have check valves at each circulator, either external or the internal type. Otherwise the pumps will 'short circuit' each other when only one is running.

Status
Not open for further replies.