Pump Selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Well Ive decided to just go with pumps with IFCs in them instead of swapping over to Zone valves. Need now and would take some time/effort to do the relay setup (Right anyhow)

Currently my zones have Taco 007s I could just get 007s with IFCs but im wondering if I should get the 3 speed 00R-MSF1-IFCs have a higher head range but in the same flow range as the 007s and adjustable.

I know nothing about pumps/flows but with the 007s stated head range I would think for the 2nd floor zone I would want a pump with a higher head rating.

What do you think?

Thanks

~ Phil

I don't know about older 007 circs but I just bought some new ones without ifc and used the ifc out of my 00R.
I am using the 00R's back to back for storage so I didn't need the checks, and 007 with no checks were cheaper.
Point is you may be able to just buy the ifc inserts and put in your existing circs.

mpilihp said:
I know nothing about pumps/flows but with the 007s stated head range I would think for the 2nd floor zone I would want a pump with a higher head rating.

Head is related to friction loss, not height - the column of water being lifted is counter-balanced by the column of water coming down the return side.

In order to size the pumps properly, you need to determine the btu load of each zone, and the number of feet of pipe, plus all the fittings. The load determines the flow, and the length of pipe and number/type of fittings determines the head. Then just pick a pump to match.

FYI, when sizing for zone valves, you size for the full flow of all the zones, and the head of the most-restrictive zone. Not that that applies to your current situation, but someone else may stumble across this thread...

Joe

Hi Kabbott I wouldnt have any idea where the IFC goes or how to install it. There is a local supply shop I can buy them at and Ill ask them about that first, thanks for the idea.

Joe thanks for explaining that I guess ill stick with the 007 size pump since thats what the local installer put in.

~ Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.