putting a reostat on auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
I've got to get this old Whitfield 2 with two knobs and a slider switch board running some how and the boards dead no lights or anything. Some on this board had a reostat replacement scheme to control augers. I think this what I need as I financially strapped and need something I can get from radio shack to make this auger run again. I think both fans can run at max speed I just need a way of controlling the auger feed. Hopefully the person that has this information will respond. Thankyou bjr23

bjr23 said:
I've got to get this old Whitfield 2 with two knobs and a slider switch board running some how and the boards dead no lights or anything. Some on this board had a reostat replacement scheme to control augers. I think this what I need as I financially strapped and need something I can get from radio shack to make this auger run again. I think both fans can run at max speed I just need a way of controlling the auger feed. Hopefully the person that has this information will respond. Thankyou bjr23

I would worry 1st about making it safe. The schematic was for a breckwell and it was to repair the board. Not by pass the auger control. I will help if I can but the parts are special order last time I looked. Radio shack did have some but no 555 timer. I built one in an hour or so. I'll see what I can gather.

Are you sure the high limit(manual reset ) isn't open?

Jtakeman

Many thanks. It was the hi temp switch. It's auto reset that didn't auto reset. That hurt my feelin's I pride myself on being through and I got bite with a "I didn't check everything", I know better. I was doin' my troubleshooting at 1am this moring and maybe not so alert at that hour. So, thanks again. bjr23

bjr23 said:
Jtakeman

Many thanks. It was the hi temp switch. It's auto reset that didn't auto reset. That hurt my feelin's I pride myself on being through and I got bite with a "I didn't check everything", I know better. I was doin' my troubleshooting at 1am this moring and maybe not so alert at that hour. So, thanks again. bjr23

Even the best of us miss something here or there. We all need the "are you sure checked this" sometimes. I am sure the 1AM thing was the root. Glad its all good.

Stay warm
jay

it is not a rheostat (changed voltage)that controls feed times.
it is a potentiometer (Changes OHMs ) that controls the delay between feeds.

DONT SCREW WITH THE BOARD UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING>

Status
Not open for further replies.