putting in a new fireplace designed for insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nemyarb

Mar 7, 2008
Iowa
Hi, I have read through many Q&A;but still am unsure what to do. We want to put in a fire place with an insert. I see that standard prefabs fireboxes from the normal building supply company dont meet the requirments to have an insert in them. What style of firebox can be purchased that would accept the insert? What do you look for? I can build the structure to fit anyway needed. Do you have to buy a firebox and then an insert or is there a built in available? Are "built ins" inserts that were designed to go into new construction to begin with. Is it easier to just go with a stove? What is the difference between insulated and non insulated fireboxes. I am very needy and confused. I am married, so I can take abuse, so go ahead and provide "guidance". Any links, products etc. are appreciated. Thanks very much.

Welcome. Normally one would not install a fireplace designed for an insert, but rather one would put in an efficient, zero clearance (ZC) stove. There have been several discussions on this. If you search on zero clearance or ZC you should find many postings and some pictures too.

To narrow down your options tell us a bit about the size of the house, the room size, and what the ultimate goal is. Describe the room you would like it to go in. Single or two story? What is above the room? Open or closed floorplan? Describe how you intend to use the stove. Do you want a nice cheery fire for evenings and weekends? Or do you want a nice looking wood heater that you run from Oct. to Mar. as a primary source of heat? And most important, what is the budget range?

Here are a couple links to get you started thinking:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13145/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11087/

Status
Not open for further replies.