Putting in new fireplace!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joey15

Mar 22, 2018
PA
Good morning,

I recently purchased a used Osburn 2400 insert to replace the old 1985'ish insert i have in my house. I'm currently in the process of removing it but encoutered a problem. From the front of the fireplace going in there's a two inch drop and it appears the fireplace box has been screwed in from the outside behind the exterior wood of the house. Does this mean i have to open it up to remove it ? And how do i deal with the drop ? Do i have to put in new concrete to level it out ?

I'm not exactly sure how the stove is constructed but it's off the ground as seen in pictures. Should it be able to hold a 500lbs stove ?

Before.jpg Takingout.jpg Bottom_Chimney.jpg Top_Chimney.jpg After.jpg
That's as far as i got. There's insulation all around it, the mitten has a pipe going outside and the rest of the screws seem to be coming from the other side of the plates. The main bracket up front seems to be stuck against the wall.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to have to say this, but the plan is seriously flawed. You can not put in the Osburn 2400 insert. What you have is a Zero Clearance fireplace. It can only be replaced by another ZC fireplace in that chased enclosure. It is just a wooden framed box. Take a look at SBIs Flame Monaco and see if it will fit.

Sorry to have to say this, but the plan is seriously flawed. You can not put in the Osburn 2400 insert. What you have is a Zero Clearance fireplace. It can only be replaced by another ZC fireplace in that chased enclosure. It is just a wooden framed box. Take a look at SBIs Flame Monaco and see if it will fit.

We're pretty determined to get a proper insert rather than another cheap ZC fireplace since our power goes out for at least a week every storm leaving us with zero heat.

What has to be done in order to actually make this happen ?

Put in a high quality ZC. There are good EPA heaters available.

Last edited:
An insert can only go in a masonry structure or in some cases, a qualifying ZC fireplace. You have neither. There are a couple options. Put in a new EPA fireplace like the Monaco or if there is room enough, you may be able to open the chase cavity and install a freestanding fireplace (alcove install). But measure the chase first to see what will fit. It may not be wide enough for a freestanding stove's alcove clearance requirements.

Last edited: