Q what type tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
Could some one please tell what type of tree this is

Attachments

• tree 001.jpg
    tree 001.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 405
  • tree 004.jpg
    tree 004.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 432
It would be hard to tell without a picture of the leaves or fruit.
Looks like it is starting to rot though!

this tree has been dead for a couple of years. It feel down a couple weekends ago on are walking path that we take on occasion.I was hoping some one could identify the bark.Heres other pictures I hope this will help. By the way the tree is rotten at the bottom around the trunk It looks like the tremites got it Other then that fourty feet of this tree is sound. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• tree 002.jpg
    tree 002.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 360
  • tree 005.jpg
    tree 005.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 378
Burd said:
Could some one please tell what type of tree this is
looks like hard maple,because of the light color and stright as it is

That's what a lot of the dead and dying red oak around here look like.
Even the little grey one on top of the big one in the last pic with the moss on it looks like oak..
Bark falling off.

Hard to tell with mature trees, thier bark starts to look the same, aged.

if this were Jeopardy..... I'd be looking Alex dead in the eye.....
"What is Red Oak"?

esp. based off that second set of pics you posted. the trunk and that limb leaning on the downed soul..... to me, red oak.

ship us all several splits and we'll let ya know.

Maybe a different type of red oak than we have here in the midwest then. 90% of what I cut and burn is red oak and there is not any light colored sapwood in any of it.

That tree in Connecticut is called a "fallen tree". cut it up and burn it. nice find.

What are the other trees around it? Chances are it's probably the same species.

Status
Not open for further replies.