Quad 5700 temp variations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fullbore

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2007
Northeast PA
Yesterday my new 5700 and 26' class A chimney was installed. I have pics that I hope to post soon. I noticed a considerable difference in temperature between locations of the magnetic chimneyguard thermometer. When I had it on the single wall flu pipe at about 18" high it was reading 450. On the front door above the glass, it was 500. On the stove top dead center, the thermometer spiked all the way to 900 degrees! I don't want to overfire the stove but I'm only burning two large pine splits this evening and the fire isn't raging. The fire looks "normal" and isn't nearly as roaring as I have burned in an open fireplace. Is my thermometer the problem or is the stove top supposed to be really hot?

If you consistently burn it with the top that hot I imagine the paint will start to fall off. I have seen it on a few stoves before but I am not sure the temps they were getting, I just know they had it way too hot. I would try to keep it under 700 on the top. 500-600 is preferable from what I have heard. I know a couple people have 4300 ST units which is similar to yours with a smaller box so maybe they can comment on thier top temps.

Thanks, I was looking inside the stove and noticed that the thermometer was placed directly above where the fiber board ended. This may explain the big difference in temperature between the flu, front door area, and cooktop. I don't want the paint to blister on the cooktop but I believe the entire stove may be cooler in other spots.

one of my stoves is a quad 5700. I'll look for my thermometer and let you know what kind of temps I'm getting out of mine.

Thanks, I checked my temps in the middle of the night after the fire was "cruising" steady with 50% primary air. I ordered two new Condar magnetic thermometers just in case the 25yr old chimgard is off. I was burning two large splits of pine(to get rid of it). My flu read 350, my front door area read 600, and the stove top was 700. This is probably as "throttled down" as I would burn until I switch to oak. The 1000 sq.ft. basement was a toasty 80 degrees with the stairway door wide open.

I'm confident my thermometer is a "tad" off....it's reading 150 degrees at rest, unattached. I guess I need my new equipment.

Either that or the room is a tad warm ;-)

My new thermometers came today and sure enough, the old one is WAY off. My 900 degree cooktop is really 700 degrees. I can rest assured since both new thermometers are reading identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.