Quad Classic Bay 1200 - Exhaust Blower runs, no pellets feed - Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tliving

Feb 2, 2014
New York
We have a Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200 Free standing.. Its 11 years old.

I gave it a big clean out, unhooked vacuum switch, thermostat wires, removed convection blower and exhaust blower. Vacuumed it all out, put it all back together and ....

Exhaust fan runs, but no pellets drop. Thermostat is set high.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this, before I have to shell out a few hundred to get it fixed?

It was working ok, burning smoky, before I took it apart.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

My wife and kids are about to begin breaking my chops!!!

Thanks.

Tom In New York

Ok, the smoky burning is a good indicator that you don't have enough airflow through the burn pot. Now that could be because your exhaust is blocked but you say that you cleaned the stove. Did you clean your flue INCLUDING THE CAP, which often gets the screen clogged up?

In those 11 years, have you changed the door gasketing? Do you know how to do the dollar bill test on the door gasket? When you close the door on the dollar bill, you should have some rather stiff resistance to pulling it out. Do the test all the way around the door where there is gasket.

Do you get the red 'call for heat' light when the thermostat is set high?

Was it working BEFORE you did the cleaning? Why did you 'unhook the vacuum switch'? Did you reconnect it?

Since you had both blowers out, there's a reasonably good chance that you bumped a wire connector loose, broke or disconnected the hose going to the vacuum switch (it's probably brittle, if it's the original hose).

That's a start. Answer those questions and we will go from there. I'm sure more people will jump in. Well, maybe after the Super Bowl, but then their answers may be SLIGHTLY slurred..... :)

Is the auger turning? If so, check for pellets bridging in the hopper. If not check the vacuum hose connection to be sure it is sealing well. Look for cracks from when it was removed. Maybe snip off the last inch so that you are putting it back on with fresh plastic? If that is ok check snap switch #2 (yello) wiring to be sure you didn't disconnect it. If ok, check the switch itself.

Ok, the smoky burning is a good indicator that you don't have enough airflow through the burn pot. Now that could be because your exhaust is blocked but you say that you cleaned the stove. Did you clean your flue INCLUDING THE CAP, which often gets the screen clogged up?

In those 11 years, have you changed the door gasketing? Do you know how to do the dollar bill test on the door gasket? When you close the door on the dollar bill, you should have some rather stiff resistance to pulling it out. Do the test all the way around the door where there is gasket.

Do you get the red 'call for heat' light when the thermostat is set high?

Was it working BEFORE you did the cleaning? Why did you 'unhook the vacuum switch'? Did you reconnect it?

Since you had both blowers out, there's a reasonably good chance that you bumped a wire connector loose, broke or disconnected the hose going to the vacuum switch (it's probably brittle, if it's the original hose).

That's a start. Answer those questions and we will go from there. I'm sure more people will jump in. Well, maybe after the Super Bowl, but then their answers may be SLIGHTLY slurred..... :)

Thanks for the quick reply

1. I cleaned the whole flue. Clean all the way through.

2. Never changed the gasket, but just tried the dollar bill test and there is resistance all the way around. Some places it wont budge.

3. No red call light when therm is high.

4. Stove was working before the cleaning. I did unhook the vacuum switch, the 2 wires and the hose. I wanted to take the back panel off, but now it seems a mistake.

5. I will go back in and check my connections.

Enjoy the game.

Is the auger turning? If so, check for pellets bridging in the hopper. If not check the vacuum hose connection to be sure it is sealing well. Look for cracks from when it was removed. Maybe snip off the last inch so that you are putting it back on with fresh plastic? If that is ok check snap switch #2 (yello) wiring to be sure you didn't disconnect it. If ok, check the switch itself.

I took out the snap switch with the yellow wires and it is cracked. Maybe I need a new one?

Try jumpering the thermostat terminals with a short piece of wire to see if the call light goes on then. If so, there may be a break in the thermostat wire.

Sounds like that may be it. Try putting a temporary jumper between the two spade connectors. (careful this is line voltage I think). If it starts feeding that is the issue. But don't run it this way. snap #2 is your overfire protection. Get a new switch.

Try jumpering the thermostat terminals with a short piece of wire to see if the call light goes on then. If so, there may be a break in the thermostat wire.

Hey its working. Many thanks to all!!!

I knocked a yellow wire off the back of the thermostat terminal when I cleaned it.

Thank goodness for this site.

Hope I can help someone sometime.

Enjoy the game all.

Tom in NY

Ah, glad the fix is simple. That's the best kind.

Last edited:
Great. I wish everyone were that lucky! Especially the Seattle Seahawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.