Quad E2 recall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta love this part: "Consumers should stop using the unit, turn the small blue dial on the stove or insert to the -4 position and follow the daily maintenance requirements in the owner's manual."

Umm, either they stop using the unit, or they use it with the settings they indicate - otherwise why would they need the daily maintenance? Of course I'm guessing that not too many people are using the pellet stoves right now anyway.

Reactions: John Ackerly
Strange that QuadraFire hasn't posted anything on their Facebook page, which has 33,000 followers. Seems like a pretty obvious way to get to your consumers in hopes of preventing future explosions. I would have thought that the Consumer Product Safety Commission would require that. Nothing on their website either, that I could find, though it may be buried deep. Apparently they are working through their dealers to find known buyers of that stove, which may be most important thing they could do, but you have to wonder how many people have that stove and aren't going to be contacted or know that there is a problem. We spent $10 on Facebook, reached more than 4,000 people and some other folks share our post, including some Quad dealers.

Strange that QuadraFire hasn't posted anything on their Facebook page, which has 33,000 followers. Seems like a pretty obvious way to get to your consumers in hopes of preventing future explosions. I would have thought that the Consumer Product Safety Commission would require that. Nothing on their website either, that I could find, though it may be buried deep. Apparently they are working through their dealers to find known buyers of that stove, which may be most important thing they could do, but you have to wonder how many people have that stove and aren't going to be contacted or know that there is a problem. We spent $10 on Facebook, reached more than 4,000 people and some other folks share our post, including some Quad dealers.
There were some posts that showed some pretty awful pictures too like a before and after with the kids all sitting in front of the stove and then glass everywhere. It was posted to HHT Facebook too but cannot find those pics anymore

So during the heating season quad was replacing the original boards with a revision, now that isn't holding up either and they are recalling the whole stove?

Doesn't it say that the recall is to replace the boards? Which sounds to me like they are just enlarging the scope of what they were doing this winter (to reach more users?) but the fix is the same? Or since it's now CPSC involved, maybe also a move from something voluntary to something forced? (So to speak...)

Doesn't it say that the recall is to replace the boards? Which sounds to me like they are just enlarging the scope of what they were doing this winter (to reach more users?) but the fix is the same? Or since it's now CPSC involved, maybe also a move from something voluntary to something forced? (So to speak...)
I think we'll find that HHT will handle most of this in house. I believe that HHT requires dealers to register customer sales to serials but am not sure. If an HHT dealer could chime in about that process that would be great. AFAIK, the CSPA gets involved when consumers submit reports. A manufacturer gets a vaulentary status when they cooperate and acknowledge the problem. I know that in the beginning HHT was flying a task force around to investigate known issues. I do hope HHT is contacting consumers directly though, it's a big safety issue. Since CSPA is now involved I would imagine they will follow up with a resolution provided consumers do continue to make additional claims.

After reading everyone's postings again, let me try to clarify. The immediate fix from HHT when they were informed of these implosions was adjust the fuel/air mixture control on the control board to -4, then heed to the daily instructions listed in the owners manual- basically to keep the burn pot clean as you can and the air/fuel control set to -4 for a less amount of fuel to be fed and a higher air flow. This was to give them a chance to analyze what was happening and to modify (enhance) the control board in response to this issue. The enhanced control board was the actual solution, the -4 and clean more was the immediate response to the problem, because it was winter and consumers obviously were going to use their stoves. I can tell you this about the stoves the store that I'm at has sold. HHT sent notices to all customers telling them of the issue and the fix that was coming. They then sent all new control boards to the dealers to contact the customers, then make arrangements to go out and change out the boards. Of the units we had out in the field, we still have around 10 to service. All new units obviously have the revised control boards and yes, serial numbers are tracked at the dealerships to identify customers for warranty purposes. As to the new control boards, they also have a purge cycle every 30 mins (The old setting for purge was every hour), the unit drops to a low feed setting, exhaust blower goes to max to expel debris from the burn pot, this occurs for about a minute, it then resumes its operating mode it was running in. Also, the air/feed mixture now comes from the factory at -2 and is one of the pre-start checklist items. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: john193
Stovelark - This is a brand new recall (7-9-15), which is why my comment and I'm guessing several others. I think we understand that it is for the same issue discussed on this board last winter, and that dealers have been getting new boards since early this year. I have also seen several posts on this forum from people looking to buy used Quads that are potentially in the recall (originally bought 2014 and being sold by original owner) - for which dealers would not have info on. I hope if they did buy, they see this recall link that smwilliamson was kind enough to post.

Hi Bogie- I understand, good point too. This is a very scary thing, hard to believe it did not come up during testing for the unit. Thank goodness, haven't heard of anyone seriously hurt, but if it had happened to me or my family, I would have had to gotten rid of the stove. Take care.

Reactions: bogieb
This would be a communication to contact people that may of been missed. Recalling from February 2014 should cover them all. That is when the E2 came out.

This would be a communication to contact people that may of been missed. Recalling from February 2014 should cover them all. That is when the E2 came out.
True
It also seems that units sold after January 2015 and units in Dealer stores and warehouses have been updated with the fix. Although the Dealers should be very careful to assure that.

Not sure when each dealer received boards but I do know some were shipping in February.

Boards have been shipped to dealers to update customers' stoves. For new units, there is a label on the box telling you it has the enhanced control board. Don't know how long that label will be affixed to units..

Stovelark is correct about labels on new units that were dealt with prior to shipping.

smwilliamson, Why would you want to buy one ?

Glad to see the official recall although the company has taken pro-active steps to reduce their liability;) As to the stoves installed, wonder how many may be in homes that have been sold since then ... in that case the address would be more important than the name of the customer.

Glad to see the official recall although the company has taken pro-active steps to reduce their liability;) As to the stoves installed, wonder how many may be in homes that have been sold since then ... in that case the address would be more important than the name of the customer.
My Quad dealer friend did not sell any E2s in that time frame. They sell way more Harmans.

Your friend is not the only dealer that did not sell them. The AE is not that much more and is a proven unit.

Ok. I understand now. In a time when major manufactures realize customer expectations and a desire for units that require less attention I am amazed they thought a unit that requires the pot to be emptied 3 times per day was a good idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.