Quad E2 recall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched many pellet units fire hard but honestly never witnessed or heard of a glass blowing out. Had you heard of it prior to the E2 ?

3 times a day?? While I agree there is no reason ever that a pellet stove should pose a danger to anyone like in this instance, I have seen many pellet stoves (including burn back units that were blamed to be a "bad stove from the MFR") that I wondered how they didn't have a problem happen. Lets just hope this fix fixes the problem. I still maintain it is a good, reliable heater. About the AE, let us not forget their initial problems in 2007-2008. No explosions, but lots of reliability/burn back issues, many units were pulled and sent back to the MFR.

I have watched many pellet units fire hard but honestly never witnessed or heard of a glass blowing out. Had you heard of it prior to the E2 ?
Never with original equipment. Once saw a stove that had exploded but the owner had rigged a computer fan to the intake...that was a Big Bang. Blew the door across the room and all the pellets out of the hopper. If I remeber right that was a St Croix Hastings

smwilliamson, Watched the E2 for a couple months when it came out and observed the amount of cleaning and attention it required. I was very surprised by the performance but never imagined the glass would blow out.
stovelark, Not sure if I consider it a good and reliable heater at this point. I do know that if you tend it often your chances of keeping it running are higher. I am sure Quad wants to stand behind it like they stood behind the AE. I do hope the issues are taken care of to the point that a consumer does not have to worry. Too expensive of a unit not to meet expectations.

I wasn't the one trying to buy it and we didn't actually sign it so I'm not 100%!sure but from what I understand, the dealer was openly against selling the E2 uni. if we really wanted one, he would get us one but he had some kind of release basically saying that he isnt responsible for problems it may have and that he would not be responsible for any follow up warranty work and we would have to work with HHT directly for any issues.

Would be interesting to know if that dealer was letting Quad in on how he was selling the unit... At the store we haven't seen the issue with the one burning- we used it as a store heater obviously in the winter, running it low or medium on manual mode, so we never cycled it on and off during the workday. At night, we ran t-stat mode and on occasion, it did miss ignition even at times when it had little in the burn pot. For its price, I agree it shouldn't be that sensitive to having a super clean burn pot to effectively operate (safely). After the control board change out, it does look more like the AE in its flame and burn pot appearance, not as full a flame as it did before (I'm thinking because of less fuel/more air flow through the burn pot). Most people have not lost faith in this stove, it is super quiet, very decorative and a great heater, its about 10 percent less than its sister, the AE too. I am hoping this problem is gone. For myself I'm still waiting for the Enviro Meridian cast to show up... that's my next stove.

stovelark, The board did help. I just expected more out of Quad. Quads are usually reliable. The original MV is a war horse. I agree on noise levels. A 10% price difference at this level made the AE more attractive. Where I had hopes for the E2 was eliminating the overpriced parts ( board and wall control ). I still do not understand why the boards are so expensive.

smwilliamson, I agree on probable cause if the issue. Along with the new board I would like to have seen a change to the combustion fan.

Lake Girl, Signing a release is not a normal or required procedure. The dealer was trying to avoid selling a stove. This coming winter will be a 2nd chance for the E2 to prove itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.