Quad vs blaze king

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love my 3100ST. Makes it hard to want to upgrade to a larger firebox for our 3.000SF.

Attachments

• Stove 12 Feb 14.jpg
    Stove 12 Feb 14.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 187
Hrmm I don't know anything about your problems with the Defiant, but I wouldn't be surprised, however the Defiants as far as I know require a 8 inch liner and yours is a 6 inch. Most larger stoves should be run on a 8 inch liner and usually have direct specifications as such.

Not sure if any of your current problems could be related to liner size...

Hrmm I don't know anything about your problems with the Defiant, but I wouldn't be surprised, however the Defiants as far as I know require a 8 inch liner and yours is a 6 inch. Most larger stoves should be run on a 8 inch liner and usually have direct specifications as such.

Not sure if any of your current problems could be related to liner size...

The Quad Isle Royale, a larger stove, calls for a 6 inch liner and is built like a tank. I haven't had any issues either with my small Quad insert.

Yea, I think the princess is pretty big as well and is ok with a 6in if i remember correct, but larger stoves like the buck, king, and defiant are 8 inch liners.

Just commenting that his VC is delineated as needing a 8 inch liner..

Yea, I think the princess is pretty big as well and is ok with a 6in if i remember correct, but larger stoves like the buck, king, and defiant are 8 inch liners.

Just commenting that his VC is delineated as needing a 8 inch liner..

The only bk that needs 8" is the king.

I have a 2006 Quadra Fire 4300 ACT that I had bought used last fall for $400. I had some rust on the heat shields, but from what I saw of the previous owner he did not take care of it and more than likely had it sitting outside at some point. I had some frustrations with this stove along the way and the thought came to me that I should start shopping for another stove. Then I thought, before I condemn it I should understand why it is not working for me.
So I stopped in at my local Quad dealer. After talking with the owner and very experienced Quad operator, he left me with the impression that I had more than enough heating power for my house and a quality stove that will last for years. So I figured obviously I am doing something wrong..
So I investigated... My first test was the wood quality test. I cut up a bunch of very dry oak skids and threw them in the stove and closed the air completely. I was amazed at the result I got... Over 600 degree burn for hours on end.. The house was much warmer.. Suddenly I had a stove that worked for me. So indeed I need to dry my wood longer. Problem #1
Problem #2 my firebrick was all cracked and broken.. So I replaced them all. Problem #3 my door seal was weak.. So I replaced that. I even learned how to properly load the stove so there is proper air movement and utilized the air controls for better operation.
My problem was NEVER the stove.... It was my lack of understanding of the important aspects of proper stove operation that gave me so much hassle. With properly seasoned firewood and preventative consistent maintenance I have a quality stove with excellent heat.

With all that said..... If you cut up very dry skids like I did and throw them in a brand new Blaze King or a Quadra Fire I guarantee the Quad will perform as well if not better than the Blaze king. Anybody on here will tell you that the most critical aspect of burning firewood is how smart the operator is.

Please don't rule out the Quad based off of the negative reviews from somebody who complains instead of making the situation better and blaming it on the manufacturer. Any problem can be fixed whether by a dealer, manufacturer, or an owner with common sense.

Reactions: northwinds
There are lots of happy Quad owners out there. Thanks for posting.

My Voyaguer grand is working as promised. Great burn times, plenty of heat. No problems what so ever. Looks good, works good.

The quad will never perform as well as a bk. The specifications tell you that even under ideal conditions you will have lower efficiency and shorter burn times. A well operated quad will surely outperform a crippled bk though.

The quad will never perform as well as a bk. The specifications tell you that even under ideal conditions you will have lower efficiency and shorter burn times. A well operated quad will surely outperform a crippled bk though.

There's more to performance than 24 hour burn times and dirty viewing windows. :p

From what I know about Quad's customer service and what I've heard about Blaze King's customer service, that part of the equation goes to Blaze King in a romp.

This may have changed but when I had a Quad pellet insert their customer service was excellent. I emailed or spoke with them several times and they were very helpful.

This may have changed but when I had a Quad pellet insert their customer service was excellent. I emailed or spoke with them several times and they were very helpful.

Apparently they are resting on their laurels.

There's more to performance than 24 hour burn times and dirty viewing windows. :p
Like what?

Efficiency, bk is #1 in the world.

Control, bk has a stat and a cat that allow a huge spread from high to low.

The bk looks bad, agreed, but spec for spec nothing matches up. I own a good noncat, there's a place for that kind of burn cycle out in a barn.

Reactions: alforit
Like what?

The bk looks bad, agreed, but spec for spec nothing matches up. I own a good noncat, there's a place for that kind of burn cycle out in a barn.

Well said .............Except the looks part................The new BKs are looking good

Like what?

The barn is the only place my wife would allow the BK. I'm happy you like your stove. My stove heats my castle just fine and has great fire tv.

Reactions: Highbeam
The barn is the only place my wife would allow the BK. I'm happy you like your stove. My stove heats my castle just fine and has great fire tv.

My wife thinks the Princess, King and the rest of the BK line (except the Ashford) are ugly as sin. So we're getting an Ashford. Thank God they came out with that stove. _g

Reactions: Highbeam
You guys are right, they're ugly. And the flameshow is usually nonexistent. If you can get over these things then there's not a better stove on the market but i won't blame you if looks are the the most important feature.

I think happy wives is a big part of the equation. BK has been late in the game getting this message, but the Ashford is a promising sign.

Yes, my wife isn't thrilled about the lack of a fire show. But that's a feature that goes hand in hand with efficiency so she yielded.

Wow! Now THAT'S UGLY!! Were that to wind up in or anywhere near our house, my wife would move out.

Your central heating unit is prettier?

Status
Not open for further replies.