Quadra Fire 3100i Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

werkkrew

Nov 7, 2014
Pennsylvania, PA - USA
Hey all -

I have done my best to search about this question and I can't really get the answer I need.

Last year I bought a used Quadra Fire 3100i off craigslist, it is a late 80's early 90's version EPA stove. All of the newer models use ACC or ACT or some such thing but this stove is fully manual.

When I got it last year it was in pretty bad shape, but I used it anyway. When I say bad shape I mean a couple bricks were cracked, the ceramic blanket was in need of replacement and I did not have a proper chimney liner (half liner which was a questionable install).

It did not perform very well. It was very difficult to get a good fire going, I had to run it with both air controls fully open most of the time just to keep the fire lit, and it was not producing all that much heat. I dealt with it because I knew I was going to have it fixed in the spring.

So this spring I had the stove serviced/cleaned, all new bricks installed, fresh baffle board and ceramic blanket, along with a full height insulated stainless steel insert installed in my chimney.

I have fired up my stove for the first time tonight and it started up infinitely more easily than ever before and is burning wonderfully. My issue is, even with both of the air control levers fully closed I still have what appears to be quite a roaring fire going on and my baffle board/air tubes are glowing a pale orange. With the fire going for about 1.5 hours having both air controls completely shut my thermometer appears stable at 550 degrees (placed on the front of the stove near the door).

I have never seen this behavior before, last year if I closed both air controls the fire would all but completely die out. Now I know it was performing very badly last year as it was very difficult to get a quality fire going but I am not sure if I am just not used to how this thing should perform when it is working well, or if something else is wrong. I sort of expect the fire to burn very low with all of the air closed to keep it burning over night. Maybe its just a visual thing and its not burning as aggressively as it looks?

My main concern is that it feels like the primary air lever may have gotten bent when the guys were servicing it, it does not seem like it pulls out as far as it did, or as it should (going completely off of memory) and it seems to have a slight curve to it.

I am wondering how far this lever should come out and how I can check if something is wrong there.

I am not sure if I am just being paranoid and my stove is performing like new again, or if the primary air is indeed not closing causing my fire to burn too hot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did the guy that service it say anything about the air box or chamber being cracked? I have heard of it happening due to being over fired not sure if this is your problem but thought it could be something to look into

No, he said everything looked great and that I got a really good deal. I'm just not sure if maybe when they had the insert out doing all that work on it maybe they knocked the air control lever out of wack or maybe I'm just crazy.

No, he said everything looked great and that I got a really good deal. I'm just not sure if maybe when they had the insert out doing all that work on it maybe they knocked the air control lever out of wack or maybe I'm just crazy.

i'm having the same issue - did you figure it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.