Quadra-Fire Castile Blower ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ablejoy

Feeling the Heat
New to forum
I have a question about my new Quad Castile Blower. I think this might be normal but like to ask you fine people.
When Pellet stove fires off the exh blower has a high pitch wine that is really steady and never goes away, I can really notice it on the lowest setting. The other blower is quiet meaning no wine from blower.
Thanks this is a great forum been hang out here for a few months.
Azwormguy

I've noticed the same strange whine/whistling sounds from my Castille as well. It doesn't happen all the time, perhaps less than 2% of the time. I'm pretty convinced that it's coming from the burnpot and I'm also pretty sure the sounds are made by the configuration of the ash, the clinkers, and the pellets in the burn pot and after a minute or two it goes away.

If you look closely inside your burn pot, you'll see all the different holes that allow the combustion air to be blown in. When you clean your burn pot, be sure to clean these holes well and also scrape the whole inside surface of the burn pot really good.

Someone else had mentioned these noises before and he was wondering if rounding the edges of the small burn pot holes might help, kinda like porting and polishing the head on an engine. It didn't take us long to realize what the whistling was, where it was coming from and accepted it as part of the "nature of the beast". As with everything about this pellet stove, it is such a TOTALLY different way of heating from our HW baseboard and it's going to take a while to get used to.

Steve

to clean holes in your firepot try using a handgun bore brush (.38/357 cal.- 9mm)....works for me....

A bore brush. Now that's a really good idea! Just bend it at a 90° angle and you're all set.

Steve

Thanks Guys
I figured the noise was normal I used to it a couple of times to test the stove out have not used a half bag yet house gets to hot. I will get a bore brush for cleaning the air holes great idea. I only used the stove a couple of times still not cold enough yet. Next month will be the real test.
Thanks again
Azwormguy

I did pull the pot and went to cleaning the burrs off the pot. I used drill bits the same size as the holes to clean them out. Filed down all the rough edges of the holes and used a larger bit (hand held) and eased the edges of the holes. Feel around the pot, there are some pretty big burrs around the holes . they could produce some whistling. Being mass produced, who is going to take the time to clean up the castings??? Make sure you have an extra burn pot gasket before you remove the pot. My local shop charged $30 . I found it on-line for $12. hths

I have the same whistling type noise....dont get it all the time.....only on low I get it. I just ignore it. It happens less than more.

I have the installer coming out tomorrow to check the noise out they tell me that its not normal. I listen to one at the dealer and it was pretty quite. Will let you know what happens.

Stove installer says the high pitch wine is from exhaust blower is normal guess I will get use to the noise.

I have a Castile and it was whining and whistling at times. I pulled the pot and cleaned all the burrs off the pot that were around the holes. With a large drill bit (hand held) I eased all the edges of the holes . The sharp edges and burrs around the holes contribute to the whistling. Get a burn pot gasket before you remove the pot. No whine, no more. hts

So Tony, did it really quiet it down? Did you notice a big difference? Were did you find the burn pot gasket? Was it a pain disconnecting the clean out mechanism in order to lift out the burn pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.