Quadra-Fire CB1200 Not Working!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjduck

Sep 24, 2015
East TN
My elderly neighbor has a 13 yr old Quadra-Fire Pellet Insert (Model CB1200I) that stopped feeding pellets. The signal light calling for pellets works correctly, however, the screw won't turn. Several companies here in East Tennessee sell these stoves, but none provide service. So, I guess we're left to troubleshoot the issue. Should we just replace the auger motor or do we need to look at the switches/sensors? Any common failures for this stove? Thanks in advance for any help you could give us!

13 yr old stove, no service in the area, sounds like the first thing need to be done is a "thorough" cleaning from the ash pan to the exhaust vent cap. I'll bet its pretty clogged up. once its cleaned let us know how its working. check gaskets around the lip of the ash pan and stove door

13 yr old stove, no service in the area, sounds like the first thing need to be done is a "thorough" cleaning from the ash pan to the exhaust vent cap. I'll bet its pretty clogged up. once its cleaned let us know how its working. check gaskets around the lip of the ash pan and stove door

Thanks for the reply.

The problem we’re currently having is related to pellet feeding. While using the stove a few nights ago, the unit stopped feeding pellets despite the “call light” remaining lit. The next day we cleaned the hopper out really well and found nothing unusual that might clog the system or prevent the pellets from being fed. We also inspected the entire stove and found nothing abnormal. We then loaded 3 or 4 cups of pellets in the hopper and attempted to restart the stove. The thermostat setting caused the “call light” to come on as usual; however, the unit didn’t feed any pellets into the firepot. We listened very closely and couldn’t hear the screw/auger turning nor could we hear any electrical humming that might indicate the auger motor was seized up. The bottom line is the auger motor isn’t working.

I visited the Quadra-Fire website https://www.quadrafire.com/owner-resources/use-and-care-videos/classic-bay-1200-pellet-insert and watched a trouble-shooting video for “pellets not feeding.” I checked some of the basic items described in the video; however, I didn’t know how to “check the Snap Discs”. What do I look for? I also wasn’t sure how to “check the vacuum switch.”

Could anyone describe how to check the Snap Discs &/or how to check the vacuum switch? How to check and what to look for?

Then the other obvious item is related to the auger motor (part #812-4421). Is there a way to check the motor and verify if it’s ok or needs to be replaced? We considered just purchasing a new motor and replacing, but I’m not sure if this will fix our problem. I don’t want to waste $200 if it won’t fix the stove.

Thanks for any help!

The vacuum switch is what controls the feed motor along with the #2 snap disc. If the exhaust is clogged up there won’t be a vacuum to close the switch

Reactions: johneh
As Ssyko said plus if the combustion
motor is not working there is no vacuum.