Purchased a used Quadra-fire CB1200i - Have some questions regarding the exhaust vent hook-up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Markolc81

Jun 24, 2022
Connecticut
Hello there. I purchased a used Quadra-fire CB1200i pellet insert for a good deal in my area. I want to use it as a secondary heating source in my home. I'm familiar with installing stoves as I had done a DIY install of a Drolet wood stove last year, but that was a simpler hookup. the flex pipe bolted right onto the stove adapter, easy peazy.

I see this 1200i has a 3" outlet. I have a 25' chimney drop and would like to use a 4" flex liner (non-insulated due to being an interior chimney). My questions lie in the hookup, I'm having trouble sleuthing the parts I need to hook this up reliably. Due to where the exhaust port is, I can't affix a 3-4" increaser directly to the appliance, because of the low clearance that will rub against the body of the stove. In fact theres a nice mark on the back of the stove because it looks like someone did just that and forced it to work. Looks like I'll need to make some kind of an extension before I increase the diameter and connect to the flex chimney liner.

I saw this post https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...d-in-your-professional-insert-install.144054/ but the OP does not mention the exact parts he used to make this work, and I'm having trouble kinda reverse engineering this.

Of course the manual does not give any specific instruction either, just generic hook-up suggestions that apply to all stoves. Any good suggestions out there? I'd like to have the stove installed before Thanksgiving - more or less just collecting all the parts and materials that I'll need.

Thanks!

PXL_20231010_194820640.jpgPXL_20231010_194842671.MP.jpg

You need the following
I would use the Duravent brand which are easier to get.
Starting at the stove exhaust flange:
Appliance adapter
3PVP-AD
12” straight pellet pipe for the extension
3PVP-12
3” to 4” increaser
3PVP-X4AD
4” flex adapter
4PVP-ADFF
The pips push in and turn but when connecting the flex adapter to the 4” liner I add high temp clear silicone to bottom of the liner and insert it into the flex adapter. Then use 3 self tapping stainless steel screws to attach the liner for a solid physical connection. Then apply more silicone to the top of the flex adapter where the liner comes out for a complete seal. After it dries I also use high temp foil tape to tape around the top of the flex adapter to assure no smoke leakage!
The high temp foil tape and high temp silicone can be found at Lowes or Home Depot. :)
Hope this info helps. :)

Reactions: ABusWrench