Quadra-Fire Explorer 1 - Best method to measure temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireStarta

Mar 6, 2017
Brookings, Oregon
Hey yall, thanks for reading. I have a Quadra-Fire Explorer 1 stove. I'm new to wood stoves and I'm working on nailing down the best process, which I've developing an idea for.

I've been measuring the stove top temp with a laser/infrared thermometer to get an idea of when I can start turning the stove down so it's most efficient in both emissions, heat output, and wood longevity. Then I'm memorizing what the fire looks like with those proper temps.

The main issue I have that I just realized is on this model there's an air gap between the top of the stove box and I suppose it's called the stove griddle top. I believe that's for a blower, which is not installed.

Is that still the accurate temp when using a thermometer or even one of those magnetic temp gauges on the very top (griddle top) of the stove? I suspect not for when they say the top should be between 400 and 600F.

Would it be better to install a flue probe thermometer or does that not make sense with that model of stove? Ideally I'd like one that can record the temps over time so I could check how it burned during the night.

Thanks for your input!

Would it be better to install a flue probe thermometer or does that not make sense with that model of stove? Ideally I'd like one that can record the temps over time so I could check how it burned during the night.
I prefer having both stove top and pipe temps but if I had to choose just one it would be pipe temp.

I agree. I would prefer that too but the gap between the stove box and the actual top is making me wonder if that's too inaccurate to try reading a temp from.

Thanks
Yes, this is a challenge with convection top stoves. A probe thermometer will be most helpful in this case. You could also try a conventional stove top thermometer placed near the flue collar with the understanding that the reading will be off by X amount. Or you could use a digital thermometer with a remote thermocouple on the actual stovetop.