Quadra Fire Sante Fe insert pellets not feeding, clogged auger/shoot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like we are getting close to the problem. Try the jumping vac switch wires, but first, use a mirror and flashlight and look up the drop chute from the firepot to see if there is any bridging of pellets. You can also try unplugging stove and making sure the control box is seated properly. Sometimes vibration can make them slip just enough to mess up stove operation. If not these, pull cover off thermocouple and check end, and or, do a continuity test on it. When putting back on, make sure the tcouple is touching the inside end of the cover or it won't read right. It should also be sticking into the pot 3/4 to 1". It does not deliver a lot of pellets at initial startup. It will feed for 60 seconds. Stove then has four minutes and 15 seconds to reach 200*. kap

I'm jumping the vac switch as we speak, stove is running will see if problem persists.

Also I noticed when I started it up and the auger wasnt turning when I expected it to that if I tapped the motor it suddenly started going, could it be a auger/feed motor that's on the fritz? I've attached a youtube to show you the sound the auger motor makes when it runs. Is this normal?

Also I included at the end some pellets falling in, this is on the 'high side' sometimes when the auger goes I get 0 pellets or 1 or 2 pellets. Is this normal? looked up shoot with flashlight and camera final drop shoot looks clear to me, emptied hopped other day so I don't think there is a jam anymore.

It is time to pull the auger assy. Empty hopper first. Unplug stove, and then unplug auger motor wireharness. There is a screw above and below the auger motor. Use a magnetic screwdriver to pull as they love to fall and disappear. Once you have it out, you can see down the auger housing for any issues. you can also check the set screw that holds the auger to the motor shaft. You can also plug auger back in and plug stove in, jump vac switch and turn stove on and see how auger does outside of stove. But from the sounds, I am guessing it is time for a new one, and I would just buy the whole assy. Some of them motors act like they are welded on there. But I am still guessing there is an issue with vacuum or the vac switch. First things first tho, get a new auger assy if things don't check out.kap

So the noise you hear when the auger is spinning is NOT normal?

Update: problem solved. I installed the new door rope gasket, I think they refer to it as a 'tadpole' gasket. The seal is MUCH tighter when I close the door now. Have not had a single problem or nuisance shutdown since. The auger/feed motor is still noisy but I think I'm gonna try to limp through the winter with it and replace next year.It doesn't bother me much as long as it works.

I've found the local stove shops that are supposedly 'Quadra Fire' dealers to not be the most helpful ("We only service stoves if we sold you the stove", etc)....

Last edited:
Nice to know their business is doing so good.They don't want to make any money do they? Their loss, your gain. Hope you have alternative heat if auger motor goes, till you can replace it. Stay warm. kap

Thanks for all your replies KAP.

Yes not exactly great business practices, and its not just one place either. I may actually contact Quadra Fire, because to me, if you're a "Quadra Fire certified" dealer and servicer that means you fix their stuff end of story. I think it's BS. We inherited the stove from previous owner and it was bought in 2007 from a place that no longer exists.

Anyway I have oil/baseboard hot water heat in all rooms and a heat pump mini split in our main living room so no worries should the pellet stove conk out. For now it soldiers on, but I do plan to replace that motor.

Last edited:
You're gonna tell all your friends about the poor service policy of that dealer, right? They're losing dozens of future sales by dicking you.

My Santa Fe auger motor is balky the first startup or two of the season in the last few years. Makes a sort of humming/grinding noise then too. But after that it's been fine. I still wonder if there's a lubricant in its internal bearings that solidifies some when it sits for months without spinning. When that happens to computer hard drives it's called "stiction." No problems after it's run well for a bit.

Also just replaced that tadpole gasket for the first time. Happier fire, cleaner glass, no more smoke smell on startups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.